Metal Bending Break Question and a rant

Rant first - OK - I need some flashing. I understand that the Blue and Orange stores may not have what I want, I come to expect that. What I am looking for is the flashing that goes behind siding and over a shed roof (not the roof of a shed but a type of roof called a shed roof). What I want is perfectly illustrated at http://www.askthebuilder.com/529-Roof-Flashings-Stop-Leaks.shtml I had bought a piece like this once before for a job at a supply house near a different project (2 hours away from me now) When I try and ask for this from local supply houses I get a deer in the headlights look. It seems that this piece is typically only available as an accessory part to a metal roofing system and is special order. One place that said they had it in stock (30 mins away) really only had a drip edge piece 1 1/2" x 1 1/2", argh.
OK - My handyman job is scheduled for first light on Saturday. I am cleaning up a mess a roofer made but that's another story. I have decided to rent a break and form my own pieces. I do not know anything about the particulars of the break I'm getting except that it will handle 10' material and I can get it in my truck.
I have seen breaks used before but I have never used one myself. Are there any tricks of the trade? Suggestions? Google didn't turn up too much helpful info. I will also post on rec.metalworking.
Replies today are appreciated.
Thanks
No wrote:

No wonder Google didn't turn up anything useful.
It's metal brake, not metal break.
http://www.google.com/search?oe=utf-8&q=metal+brake Results 1 - 20 of about 1,500,000 English pages for metal brake. (0.18 seconds)
Thanks for the fast reply!! My bad on the spelling, Thanks for correcting me. Still found no useful instructional guides or tutorials. Any tips to share?

Measure, measure, and measure again. Take it slow, and bend less than you think you need. You can always add more of a bend, but it's tough to take some of the bend out and keep it looking clean. Bend a little and test fit and bend a bit more if needed. After a few pieces, you will start to get a feel for the equipment and the materials.
Thanks!
message

No wrote:

http://www.irvansmith.com/tech3.htm

helpful
under break by about 5 degrees & you will be ensured of a tight fit against both surfaces.
BTW: flashing isn't really considered metal work. IMO
Rob
Sounds as if you are already committed. Do you have the metal, what gauge, is the brake you are looking at capable of bending the gauge you have? Make sure that you make the hem edge first. Cut a piece of scrap about 6 inches long and make the profile of your finished piece so you learn which bend needs to be made first. At worst, you louse up a little scrap piece. You may make 10 pieces of scrap, one, or none but you should be able to manufacture the shape you require with a little practice. If you want a piece of sheetmetal and you are in a large enough town to have a box store, call any sheetmetal or HVAC shop in town and they will make it for less than your costs. If you contact a siding outfit, they will make it for you out of pre colored metal.

on Saturday.

Those guys will help you.
Sometimes they are called "pan brakes"
try this link for some info: http://www.americanmachinetools.com/hand_brake.htm
No wrote:

and
am
roof
I want

had
this
seems that

metal
in
1/2",
cleaning
rent a

particulars
I can

there
helpful
I needed 26 ft of the same stuff. Took my bevel gauge, set it to the proper angle and locked down tight. Down to my local HVAC store and had them do it. Quick, cheap and easy.
Harry K
If memory serves, a device for bending metal is a "brake".
http://www.eng.hmc.edu/E8/Shops/SheetMetal/Brake.htm
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

True, but why? Has always seemed to be a malaprop to me...