Meta: long-link test for your news reader

Page 1 of 2
A meta-post: question came up recently here about how newsreaders (the software you're using to read this post) handle long URLs, like this one:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_WW/CorrosionProtection/Home/Products/Catalog/SteelPipeCoatings/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQSPK6_nid=PQS9CR5Z5Fbe13QRJVC6DLgl
I'm using Thunderbird which preserves long URLs without splitting them, unlike what I call "brain-damaged" news clients like Outlook Express, which splits and otherwise mangles them. This makes them useless for clicking on, requiring the reader to copy and paste the pieces back together; pain in the ass.
But this is on the sending end. The question is whether such links get split up when they're read.
If your newsreader splits this URL, could you post here and say what your newsreader is?
And what about Google Groups readers? I assume that GG preserves such links, but don't know for sure.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On 2/5/2009 1:57 PM Bob F spake thus:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_WW/CorrosionProtection/Home/Products/Catalog/SteelPipeCoatings/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQSPK6_nid=PQS9CR5Z5Fbe13QRJVC6DLgl
Aha, so that version preserves long URLs. Interesting. Thanks.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
I'm also on OE, but might be version 7. Can't remember.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_WW/CorrosionProtection/Home/Products/Catalog/SteelPipeCoatings/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQSPK6_nid=PQS9CR5Z5Fbe13QRJVC6DLgl
Outlook Express is not "brain damaged," nor does it mangle links. Give your Magic 8-Ball (tm) another shake.
I use Outlook Express (6) and your posted link looks and acts as it should.
As an aside: Thunderbird is marginally better than the one with the vaguely French-sounding name. But be aware that using a non-genuine Microsoft product may give your cat warts.
If you don't have a cat, you might be okay.
On 2/5/2009 2:18 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Well, as evidenced by another poster's test, I stand corrected, at least for that version. Now we know.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

Works fine with Xnews, but remember there's several servers between you and I that might mangle things. For the ultimate conveince, you could use one of those URL redirection tools, and post the original URL as well. If you only use the URL redirection tool, you might as well turn on X-No-Archive, too; the result's the same.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That\'s a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Since when does a *server* alter the text in a NNTP post? If there's one that does, then it's severely non-compliant; servers ain't supposed to do that.
They may do other screwy things, but they don't alter the substantial content of a message (body and headers). The one exception is Google Groups, but as we all know, that's not a proper news server anyhow.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:59:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl

A lot of free ones add their spam.

I'd never post anything with Google.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

[snip]
I'm using Forte Agent. The link appears here on one long line (the other text is wrapped properly).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:07:48 -0600, Mark Lloyd

The link did not wrap in my Agent:
I put the link in a text editor and it showed 167 columns, Did a word wrap in it was 45 columns Broke into three lines.

Are you saying it did in mine? I said it did not wrap.
The OTHER text wrapped (words are significant).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:00:12 -0600, Mark Lloyd

I think your news reading program needs help. It's been adding spaces.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Where?
And speaking of needing help, could you *please* fix your setup so that your posts come out properly? Your mail/news client (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512) is really screwing them up; it puts *everything* in the post below your reply into the sig, which means that only your reply (above) gets quoted when you reply to one of your postings.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Huh? There are extraneous spaces, but replies below the sig, I can't confirm.
His post - in its entirety - showed up on my machine as:
*** begin copy ***
I think your news reading program needs help. It's been adding spaces.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
David Nebenzahl wrote:

posts to this group which really breaks threads and readability the posts are formatted as you describe.
George wrote:

You are ALSO posting via Thunderbird.
Are we seeing a trend here?
How about firing up OE on your machine to see if the same phenomenon presents itself.

Google Groups here. The long link is OK and I don't see any problem with Stormin's post. Maybe time for someone to rethink which client is brain damaged.