Mercury float switch for sump pump

Do any of you know where I can purchase one for my Flotec 3/4 hp sump pump? They have a steel ball that carbons up the contacts in the sealed switch unit and causes the switch not to work. With a mercury switch there is not a problem. Flotec says they don't have Mercury switches anymore. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Joe

I don't think they are allowed to use mercury switches any more in the US.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

junk yard might have some off of old cars.. for the trunk, hood, etc.. i had a couple that i kept from throwing away over the years.. never found any use for them yet... they last forever.....

Reply to
jim

You could cobble together one from an old round Honeywell thermostat. You will need a 24 V relay and transformer so as not to overpower the mercury switch. Of course if you bought a new float valve and used a transformer/relay setup, the steel ball valve would last a whole lot longer, too. Sounds like a fun experiment. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst