mending cracked tubing on manual blood pressure cuff

Page 1 of 2
I have a long-used manual blood pressure cuff. This is the kind with a rubber tube running from the air bladder to the gauge and with another tube running from the hand bulb pump to the air bladder. There are cracks in the rubber in one of the tubes. Everything else -- gauge and air bladder -- are fine. Instead of trying some kind of tape, what kind of goo could be bought to fill in the cracks so that there's no air leakage? State the name of a product if you know or think it would be good to use for this mending. Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@walla.com wrote:

Don't even bother trying to coat the tubing with "goo".
Instead, go to a big-box pet store and buy some aquarium tubing. They come in various lengths. The shortest length will be more than long enough to replace your existing tubing, and it will cost far less than any glue or epoxy that could be used to repair your cracked tubing.
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/1769.jpg
Aquarium tubing is a pretty close match to what you need. You can even get brass and plastic fittings for aquarium tubing so you can join your existing tubing with the new tubing.
http://petcarelive.com/img/Aquarium/airline-fittings-kit.jpg
Thanks Home Guy-- I'll try what you recommend. Even though the tubes are integrated with the air bladder (they're sort of "one piece"), I think I can cut and splice in new tubing by using those barbed plastic fittings.
On Tuesday, 2 Oct. 2012 4:21:07 PM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@walla.com wrote:

I should have mentioned...
I would bet that even though the rubber tubing has cracks - they're probably just on the surface. Your problem is most likely the air bladder (the hand squeeze bulb).
It has an internal check-valve that is probably leaking.
Try this: Squeeze the bulb to build up some pressure and then fold the rubber line tight (bend it over on itself) so you create an air-tight seal. See if the line holds the pressure (no pressure drop as registered on the dial guage). If it holds pressure, then the problem is on the other side of where you pinched the line - the part going to the bulb.

I agree. If you can't find the fittings, you can probably take them from the old hose.
If you somehow can't use aquarium or other new tubing for some reason, no goo will work but silicon tape would probably work.. It's 7 dollars or more a roll, but it does things nothing else will do, and it will have lots of other uses. . You stretch it 3 times its length or more before you put it on and it contracts after it's on, and after a couple days melds into itself while sticking to what ever it surrounds. This used to be hard to find but here it is. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100206050/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId053&langId=-1&keyword=stretch+tape&storeId051#.UGvei67P6So
I have a bicycle pump someone gave me where hte hose connection at the pump was taped, just with black vinyl tape, the replacement for cloth electrical tape. I've had it 15 years and he had it before that, and pumped bike tires up to 60 pounds and finally a couple weeks ago the tape burst. I'm pretty sure 50 pounds of pressure is several times 240 mm of mercury, so even vinyl tape would be strong enough but the silicon tape will adhere to the existing hose better.
Well one review says it won't stick to PVC which might well be true. Never tried it on PVC.
Anotehr says it sticks and can't be unstuck. I've never had that prolblem because I've never done artwork with it. I wrap it around and always get it right enough the first time. If the direction is off, I point it in another direction before I wrap more. It folds and works fine.
I did try this for my garden hose and it burst. I think house water pressure is a lot more than 240 mm or mercury also. Maybe someone here can convert one to the other.
On 10/2/2012 3:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@walla.com wrote:

tube running from the air bladder to the gauge and with another tube running from the hand bulb pump to the air bladder. There are cracks in the rubber in one of the tubes. Everything else -- gauge and air bladder -- are fine. Instead of trying some kind of tape, what kind of goo could be bought to fill in the cracks so that there's no air leakage? State the name of a product if you know or think it would be good to use for this mending. Thanks

Try Shoe Goo. ^_^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_Goo
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@walla.com wrote:

Don't even bother trying to coat the tubing with "goo".
Instead, go to a big-box pet store and buy some aquarium tubing. They come in various lengths. The shortest length will be more than long enough to replace your existing tubing, and it will cost far less than any glue or epoxy that could be used to repair your cracked tubing.
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/1769.jpg
Aquarium tubing is a pretty close match to what you need. You can even get brass and plastic fittings for aquarium tubing so you can join your existing tubing with the new tubing.
http://petcarelive.com/img/Aquarium/airline-fittings-kit.jpg

What Home Guy says is exactly what I would recommend.
On 10/2/2012 6:09 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Rubber tubing is easy to find. One step easier would be to email the mfg and see if CSR will send a freebie.
On Tuesday, 2 Oct. 2012, NorMinn wrote:

The maker (Omron) no longer makes this-- they told me it's obsolete and that no one uses them. [This is NOT true-- people can still buy these manual, non-battery, non-electric blood pressure cuffs.]
Having talked via long-distance phone with a woman working for a parts company that still has parts for my 1991-bought manual blood pressure cuff, I took my unit apart since she told me how to do this-- she told me to immerse the tubing and bulb under water to see where bubbles emerge- I did this and think the bulb or the screw valve at the bulb are now defective. When I pulled the bulb off of the barbed metal fitting that has on it the screw control for the valve, the rubber of the bulb was ruined--> I'm sure the bulb cannot now be re-used. You can see my bulb in the *middle* of the *top* row here: http://bit.ly/Rdw8dp In trying to order only 1 of these bulbs, I find you have to buy about 100 of them so that's no route for me. Medical/hospital supply houses in my city don't have them. What other kind of hand bulb pump would work for me? Maybe there's some other kind of hand bulb pump that could substitute for the one that came with the unit. [You can see non-battery, non-electrical, manual blood pressure cuffs, like mine, here: http://bit.ly/ODU7X2 This kind uses a stethoscope to hear the blood flow sounds.] The woman I mentioned at the top of this posting told me the bulb and metal screw valve would cost $7.35 plus $3.50 for shipping/handling. Maybe you know I'd find something similar and cheaper in my city. Tell me if you do. Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@walla.com wrote:

If you're saying that the leak was coming from the bulb (as per your water test), then that's pretty much what I predicted would be the problem.

Which I'm guessing is Madison WI.
$10 isin't a bad price.

I don't know what city, as if it matters.
Greg
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:55:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@walla.com wrote:

tube running from the air bladder to the gauge and with another tube running from the hand bulb pump to the air bladder. There are cracks in the rubber in one of the tubes. Everything else -- gauge and air bladder -- are fine. Instead of trying some kind of tape, what kind of goo could be bought to fill in the cracks so that there's no air leakage? State the name of a product if you know or think it would be good to use for this mending. Thanks
If the tubing is cracked in one spot. it soon will be in others. Considering the end use, do you want to risk false readings?
Replace the tubing. You can probably find suitable tubing at a hardware or auto parts tore.

tube running from the air bladder to the gauge and with another tube running from the hand bulb pump to the air bladder. There are cracks in the rubber in one of the tubes. Everything else -- gauge and air bladder -- are fine. Instead of trying some kind of tape, what kind of goo could be bought to fill in the cracks so that there's no air leakage? State the name of a product if you know or think it would be good to use for this mending. Thanks

Not that it would work in this case -- it won't -- but it's intereting t hat harware stores have GE silicone cement in white and clear, but if you want it in black you have to go to an autoparts store.
With the tubing failing, and other parts soon to follow. Might be best replace the entire unit. I don't think they are designed to be repaired.
If the tubing is cracked in one spot. it soon will be in others. Considering the end use, do you want to risk false readings?
Replace the tubing. You can probably find suitable tubing at a hardware or auto parts tore.
On 10/3/2012 8:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might not have been designed to be repaired, but I can remember the hospital stocking tubing for the purpose. Been a while, before "disposable" came along. We had nice (cold) stainless steel bedpans and enema cans, too. Cleaning hypodermic syringes and needles was a real drag :o)
The new disposable, probably cheaper in the long run. And less risk of transferring infection.
Might not have been designed to be repaired, but I can remember the hospital stocking tubing for the purpose. Been a while, before "disposable" came along. We had nice (cold) stainless steel bedpans and enema cans, too. Cleaning hypodermic syringes and needles was a real drag :o)

Nothing sweeter than a nice glass on glass syringe.
Sugar packets from the cafeteria?
Who tastes syringes, anyway?
Nothing sweeter than a nice glass on glass syringe.
On 10/3/2012 9:32 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

You can't make a horror movie without a huge glass syringe and dripping big bore needle. ^_^
TDD