Memory is a strange thing. Smart phone story

Page 2 of 2
On 5/12/2015 1:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Yes, nice to have that sort of information. With most weather apps, you get an alerts issued by the NWS in seconds. You can also keep tabs on the weather where your hunting cabin is in Montana and your yacht in Key West.
On 05/12/2015 01:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

If you have cell service at your camp site, you're not really camping. Did they have remote control natural gas campfires and wifi too?

True about needing cell service for immediate weather updates. However if you use the right map app (Google or CoPilot for example) most of the other map functions will work without cell service and are quite handy when hiking and camping in the wilderness.
They do require that you preload the maps of course but with modern phones that's not a problem. I keep all of North America on mine and it hardly makes a dent in the SD card.
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 11:29:40 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

Since they're not a receiver of a GPS satellite signal...how could they give your position without interface to a cell tower?
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 2:34:37 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

Smartphones do have a GPS receiver built in.
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 9:50:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think a big part of this is that without actually using one, you don't realize how useful they can be. My two main uses are for internet access when away from the house and for some internet access within the house, eg checking emails or news while watching TV. Away from the house a good example is if I'm at say HD, find a product of interest or more likely that they don't have it, and I want to find out if Walmart, Lowes has it, or has it at a better price. You can also go to the manufacturer's website for information to make a purchase decision. Or if it's 6PM, you can pull up the hours of some store and see what time they close. Waiting for an email from someone? You can check it while away. Away from the house, getting near dinner time and want to know if there are any dinner specials at some restaurants, just pull it up. The GasGuru app shows me a map with the lowest gas prices in the area that I'm in. Like you, I haven't found the need to pay for any apps.
When I first started using mine, I was really impressed with how much you can do on such a small device.
On Tue, 12 May 2015 08:27:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

On apps I use a lot like my Maple mp3 player I go ahead and cough up the buck to get rid of the garish banner advertising. IMO it's well worth the money. YMMV.
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-4, J0HNS0N wrote:

I can see that, if the app has ads. So far, the apps I've loaded, haven't had that problem. I guess it depends on the particular app.
Apps I have are:
GasGuru Holo Bulb (flashlight) Shush Ringer Restorer Cocktail Flow (really cool, has recipes, and you tell it what booze you have available and it will tell you what cocktails you can make) RPN Calculator ConvertPad (unit conversion, metric etc) Wifi File Xfer Dropbox Accuweather Ebay Compass360 PowerBubble (level) SpeedTest YouTube SuperBackup

If you don't already, you might want to save your apps current versions before updating them. In more than one case I've had to go back to a prior version because the update added advertising along with the new 'features'.
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 4:24:21 PM UTC-4, J0HNS0N wrote:

I have to admit, I've never understood a lot of internet economics. Those apps I have are all free and I don't understand how their free stuff makes them any money, with the exception of Ebay of course. I guess Youtube has ads when you watch the videos, just like the regular version, so there's that. But apps like Powerbubble, ConvertPad, etc, I have no idea how or if they make money. Some of them do offer versions that cost $1 that have extra features. But in every case with what I do, those extra things aren't worth it. An example is Touchpal, the keyboard I use. It's free. For extra you get some different color skins for the keys kind of stuff. I guess that floats some folk's boat, but I doubt I'd use it if it were free.
On 5/13/2015 7:39 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I use Google frequently but have never paid them a penny, yet they seem to have lots of money. I also ignore the ads, but evidently others don't.
Plenty of good apps for phones too that are free, some ad supported, but it is easy to ignore them too. I guess it all works though.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Don't outfits like Google peddle their market research to advertisers? One newspaper I read has ad pop up from time to time. Eight seconds long with a counter. That doesn't annoy me too much.
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 9:06:25 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Yes, Google, I can see the revenue stream. For an app like Sush ringer restorer, or the PowerBubble level, ConvertPad (unit conversion), those, IDK.
trader_4 wrote:

shortened our attention spans to less than goldfish. Article from the U.K. Independent: http://tinyurl.com/qd934f8

I can only guess that the authors just like to give away their work. And it's not unheard of in other OSs, especially Linux.

I would have difficulty bringing myself to pay $20 to $99 for Windows software but I don't mind paying a buck occasionally for an app that I really enjoy. And I tell myself that since I spend several bucks a day on sodas, why the heck not... :)
micky wrote:

Doesn't a dialog come up asking what you want to do, either drop the old call or drop the new call, or put the old call on hold?