Memory is a strange thing. Smart phone story

Page 1 of 2
Memory is a strange thing.
I'm reviewing the instructions for my smart phone, partly because I'm going out of town for a few days and I'll be using it.
I get to the part about Switching between calls, when a second call comes in. And immediately I remember the only time that's ever happened, at least 5 years ago. And where I was at the time, the Flushing YMCA, and where in the building I was at the time, 30 feet from the door.
Come to think, I didn't have a smart phone then. The instructions for the smart phone seem to have three steps instead of one, like the simple phone. .
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 10:03:02 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

one night i pulled up to a red light and the brake pedal went to the floor.
how wierd, i felt this had happended before.......
drove carefully to garage, hey isv this under warranty?
yes it is just over a year ago we replaced your master cyclinder. its failed again, they covered it under warranty

My "Brake" light has gone on a couple times. It goes off soon, but I have the feeling I need a new master cylinder too.
I keep forgetting to check the fluid level, leaking at the wheels. Maybe today I'll remember.
On 5/10/2015 1:41 PM, micky wrote:

Might prolong your life, if you remember.
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 1:41:17 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

as the pads wear they have more room to move and the fluid level drops.
proably time for new pads, may be no fluid leak at all

Are you Korean? I used to go to that Y but gave it up a few years back because I was the only one who spoke English. And parking was a royal pain.

Thats the reason I stick to using a simple phone. Those smart phones are made for the younger generation who think they need all those extra buttons, spend their entire life on the phone, and spend most of their earnings to pay for all those minutes and apps they use.
To me, a phone is for making phone calls. A computer is for the internet. And when the youngsters shove their phone in my face and tell me to watch some video, all I see is a postage stamp with something moving on it's face.
On Mon, 11 May 2015 15:06:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Thank you for considering me part of the younger generation. I'll be 70 in a few months and I use a smart phone.
Yes, I've lived without one for years, but now that I have one, it simplifies my life in a few ways. It saves me a trip to the bank, for instance, to deposit a check. I do it with the phone.
Today at work I had the guys working on a project to repair some damage. I was able to snap a photo and show it to the owner rather than have him walk down to see it.
Tonight I was writing a letter and looked up a zip code. I know when UPS or FedX delivers packages to me. Used properly, it has real value.
All the apps on my phone were free too.
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:50:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ed, I too will be 70 (in Aug)...I don't see any sense, for me, to have a smart phone. I hardly use my flip-phone...but I still have 2 kids in school.
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:29:58 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

well i use my flip phone constantly, mostly for phone, and a little texting
i prefer the flip, so its hard to damage, and if lost, stolen. or destroyed under 15 bucks to replace

Well I'm older than both you guys and I can't imagine how I ever got along without my smartphone.
Besides calling there's texting the grandkids/greatgrandkids who would never think of chatting with me in any other way. Email Banking Reading Complete 2000+ family photos to bore people with Camera both video and regular Mp3 music player Browsers for keeping up with news when out Maps including point to point voice directions Flashlight Calculator Calendar WiFi hotspot for when others in party don't have service (especially T-Mobile) Internet radio - stations from around the world
All that and more in a gadget that fits in my pocket. Amazing.

here's a good app for you and Ed, then http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:57:20 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

"Both" is superfluous...individuals should be focused on their surroundings...not their smart device. They have become TOO important...

Usenet English cops are assholes. Did I get that sentence right?

Yes mother.

Spoken like one who has never used one...or can't.
On 05/12/2015 09:15 AM, bob_villa wrote:

I got a box of candy this Valentine's Day, with the message "I love you more than my phone.".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

That's an amazing list considering that you didn't include the #1 reason, games.

I never was a gamer. But I would have thought that social media was #1.
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:36:00 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

He was attempting to inject some humor...too bad you didn't catch that old timer!
On 05/11/2015 10:22 PM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

And it's hard for your pocket to make calls.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Thats all I have. Prepaid flip phone. I rarely use it, but it is handy at times to call someone when I'm not at home. I do send and get some texts too. It does have a built in browser, but it's very limited. It cant open a page on ebay or craigslist, but it can load a very simple webpage. It works well to get a weather report and radar maps, and that is all I really use it for anyhow. I like that feature so I can monitor the radar maps during bad storms. That alone was worth the price about 2 years ago, when I was camping near a river which was flooding. One look at that radar map, and I knew it was time to pack up and evacuate the area.