Memory Foam Mattress, as good as they claimed?

Page 1 of 2
Ok, I am sold. After several nights of tossing and turning on my sagging 12 year old mattress. I decided to buy the currently crazed Tempur pedic mattress. But before I commit my online order, I'd like to know if anyone here would like to share your experience with memory foam based mattresses. And if it is worth spending $2000 on it. The older I get (over 56 now) the more precious my sleep become.
Besides tempur pedic, there are other brand name such as Bragada, Coolmax, and many other Tempur Pedic clones. They all seem to based on NASA memory foam. However, some claimed to be better than others. Bragada claimed to be the only memory foam mattress to be approved by the "Orthopaedic Research Institute".
pac
PacKat wrote:

Doesn't the TemperPedic come with a 40 day trial period, after which you can return it if dissatisfied? I've always found foam mattresses, mattress covers, or foam pillows to feel too warm, and I like cool bedding. The Coolmax might be different, at least it sounds like it might be.
willshak wrote:

Dunno about the mattresses, but I finally bought a (cheapo) memory foam pillow at Walgreens, and I really do like it. It feels "backwards" to put the big buldge of the pillow at the neck side, but after you settle in, it feels great througout the night. The sole downside that I can see is that it has a slight "chemical smell" at first - even the instructions talk about it... I almost took it back, but decided to try it for an entire night.. and it's gone now (or my nose is dead <grin>), and it sure feels better than scruntching up my old pillow(s) to try to get the shape I want every night. My son got one online somewhere a couple of months ago, and he likes it too... but I was too cheap to buy one like that, and found this one at Walgreens about a month ago for $19.95.

Yeah, but what happens after say a month and you decide you really don't like it? Have you stored your old mattress to cover that event? Or did the delivery people that brought the new one take your old one away? You can bet they didn't keep it for you.
Charlie
willshak wrote:

I just saw a commercial for the TemperPedic mattress. I was wrong about the trial period. It is 120 days, or 4 months, not 40 days. Still need to keep your old good mattress, but a little longer.

In spewed forth and said:

Go buy a topper pad of memory foam at Sams and save about 1800-1900 dollars
topper is the way to go the mattresses only have a few inches of memory cell
Wayne
spewed forth and said:

No experience with the mattresses, but we got a couple memory foam pillows when we bought our new "conventional" mattress and box spring. They reeked to high heaven! We let them air out for over a month, even in a screen porch, and they still stunk. That CANNOT be good for you! We threw them away.
PacKat wrote:

I have heard of problems with odor and that they tend to be hot in the summer.
Is anything as good as it sounds in the ads?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I do not have the mattress. I bought an mattress pad from COSTCO for about $120.00. It is about 2 inches thick. It is wonderful. My brother even bought one, we both sleep better now. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid 042022&whse&topnav=&cat I sure like it.

I think the obvious question is, have you even laid down on one? I was mattress shopping recently and a salesman had us try one out (without telling us the price I might add). I didn't like it at all. I felt like I sunk into it too much and immediately felt "warm", which I don't like. It also seemed difficult to change position, likely due to the same "sinking in" effect leaving you in a sort of shallow hole.
Greg Guarino

I got a good quality memory foam topper for my existing mattress (which is a high-end one that is still in fairly good shape). I used the topper for the better part of a year before I tossed it.
I found it to be hot in summer and winter and less supportive than the mattress alone. It made it more difficult for me to turn over at night, sort of locking me into one position for long periods of time. As a result, I eventually started waking up during the night with backaches. In other words, it was no improvement over my regular mattress and had several disadvantages.
I've decided to buy a new conventional mattress and box spring.
I agree, memory foam eventually over time will have a memorized hole in it where you sleep. This will not provide support for your spine because as you move around the memory "hole" will just be a low area in the mattress and be like an old sagging mattress to your back.

I purchased a mattress from www.memoryfoamsource.com - I love it - the toppers aren't the same as the entire mattress - I used to sweat a lot, profusely, while I was sleeping at night - not since I bought the mattress - and it is very comfortable - compared to the Tempur models, it's a lot less expensive - AND, no shipping or tax!
The downside is that you can't try it first - but I was already sold on the memory foam idea, and this is exactly the same thing - a knock-off I'd guess . . .

Texas Yankee wrote:

That does depend on where you live. If you live in a sales or use state (US) you will owe the tax even if the seller does not collect it. As I recall, Texas is not a sales or use state, but I am not sure.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
The tempur pedic felt too soft to me when I tried it in the store, and it had to be sold with a set of springs, which meant we'd have needed a ladder if we put it on our platform bed.
I've been looking at http://www.knoxfoam.com
They have a product at a quarter of the price that can be adjusted for firmness. I haven't tried it yet, but when my birthday rolls around....
PacKat wrote:

there.
I have a comfortaire bed, that has an air mattress, a memory foam topper and then a pillow top. It is really comfortable, but it did take some getting used to. It was a little hotter than I liked because I tend to stay in the same position when I sleep. I had to adjust the amount of covers to compensate.

(Back on the 40-day warranty...) Maybe so, but what's it cost to ship it back? Yikes!

Are you serious? $2000 (two thousand bucks for just a mattress????????) No wonder they can afford to advertise on TV! I don't think all the beds and mattresses put together in this four bedroom house cost $2000. Although my sons ten year old waterbed (we replaced the bladder once) might bring it up to around $1200 absolute maximum. At 70 I still find I can sleep on almost anything you can call a bed; and any way you need less sleep as you get older; do you not? Been thinking about a new mattress to stick on top of our 40+ year old spring base. Salvation Army here sell locally made new ones for around $130 and make a profit on them. In our boat the bunk cushions are old and hard edged so we stick a piece of one inch or so foam on top of them to sleep. An old truck camper we have the bunk has a three inch fairly firm foam pad on plywood which works quite well. Naturally it the OPs choice to spend whatever they wish on a mattress or anything else. And we are said to spend 25 to 30 % of our lives in bed! So maybe in comparison to the amount of time we spend standing/walking on our expensive wood/tile/carpeted floors such a cost is comparable? But 'sheesh' $2000 bucks for a mattress! 02 from here!
Also consider latex foam: http://latexmattress.nexuswebs.net