Mechanical ventilation requirements for finished basement

I just had my rough framing inspection for finishing a section of my basement I was not home at the time, but the inspector indicatedwe need to install a mechanical ventilator, since the window was not large enough to meet building code requirements. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not getting any relevant hits on the net when searching for "airbreath mechanical ventilator", which is what the inspector suggested.

I have never seen a fan required to bring fresh air into the basement. Usually all that is needed is a fresh air duct to be brought into the location where the furnace and water heater are located. However your local jurisdiction may have certain other requirements. You should give the inspector a call for clarification.

Have a look at http://oikos.com/esb/39/VentOpt.html
Rudy wrote:

I suggest you install a ingress egress window. Not only will it meet the ventilation requirements its a easy way out in a fire.
Pays BIG dividens at home resale time you can call it a bedroom. extra bedroom net more money even if its never used as such.
$$$$$$$$$ also adds light ventilation etc..