Measuring tape with a lock that lasts

I have a couple of measuring tapes with broken locks, and I have the impression the lock often stops working quickly.
Is there a measuring tape with a lock that really lasts?
I got a Komelon tape that is supposed to lock when you pull it out, and you press a button for it to retract. It started creeping after just a few uses! incredible ...
Laura
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote in

Try the "Fat Max" brand of tapes.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖

Thirty five yrs ago, I could say without a doubt. Stanley! Lufkin sucked. Now, with everyone farming out to the lowest bidder ....in China.... who knows? Pay yer money and take yer chances. If you find a winner, we'd all love to hear about it. :\
nb
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 4, 7:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote:

Craftsman usd to have a lifetime warranty on tapes, I dont know if they do anymore, check online. Home depot has a lifetime warranty on many of their own brand tools I think its Husky, i dont know if tapes are included , mabe online you can find out.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 4, 8:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote:

This Stanley Lever-Lock tape measure locks when you pull the tape out and retracts when you squeeze the big black lever which is actually the bottom of the tape measure.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100047782/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I've used one for years with no locking-failure issues.
Funny story...
I took my Stanley tape measure with me on a recent trip to Lowes. They didn't have what I wanted so I went over to HD. When I got to HD I realized I had left my tape measure at Lowes. I have multiple tape measures at home, but not like the big Stanley, so I grabbed a new one off the rack.
On the way home I decided to stop by Lowes and see if my old one was still where I had left it...it was. So I went home, planning to return the new one next time I went to HD. Then I started measuring something with the old one and realized just how worn out the markings were. It made me wonder how I was even able to use it! I tossed it aside and grabbed the new one. What a pleasure to have nice sharp clear markings!
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:21:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I thought you were going to say something else, so this doesn't really relate, but anyhow, when my brother was in med school or maybe college chemistry, he had to get measuring beakers etc.
I guess because the opportunity was now there, my mother or he measured her measuring cups for cooking. They were way off, including the graduated pyrex one.
Add pictures here
✖

If you thought I was going to say that the measurements didn't match, sorry! That's not where I was going. <g>
Another aside...
The new Lever Lock is a "dumbed-down" model, also known as a "fractional read".
Along with the tick marks, it actually has the measurements printed on the tape at 1/8" increments.
http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/mid_res/30-854_mid_res.jpg
Add pictures here
✖