Measuring For New Countertop

I am going to look at new counter tops soon -- and a local store has a sale. They say give a price per square foot....how do you measure kitchen counters? I would like an idea about how much we are talking about before going down to look.

The same way you measure anything...
length x width = area
The thickness of the counter top may also be a factor...
Back splash size and type are also important to measure, i.e. is there a painted wall with a matching strip of counter top material or is it tiled with a different surface ?
Just be forewarned that a new counter top in a kitchen tends to suffer mission creep, i.e. the sink and faucet gets replaced because they would look so shabby next to the new counter top in their present condition...
Taken to an extreme it can lead to new appliances and cabinet face frame refinishing but not always...

...and while you have everything apart, might just as well buy a new sink...

They can be done later.

Definitely. While the counter top is off, and the new sink and faucet are sitting in the box, it's a *lot* easier t0...

You can get a rough idea by simply measuring the countertop area. But places I've dealt with charge based on the layout, desired edging, etc too. Meaning a granite countertop that's a simple rectangle with plain edge is going to cost less than one that is curved and has a fancy edge even though they are the same area.