Measuring A/C Temp Solved, sort of...

Spraying refrigerant cools the evaporator. That would also cool the attached pressure line. It would be warmer a couple of feet from the evaporator, closer to the condenser.

Reply to
J Burns

Hot refrigerant coming back from the evaporator? You're an impostor! What have you done with Stormy?

Reply to
J Burns

Looking through records years ago, I saw that my unit had been professionally repaired only once. It was about 8 years old. It needed a drier and refrigerant.

I don't know how a technician diagnoses a restriction in a drier. I imagine he would feel a temperature difference between the inlet and the outlet.

Reply to
J Burns

I replaced mine in 2011. There were so many wires connected that I drew a diagram.

I was lucky. I kept the probe of an indoor/outdoor thermometer in a register because the air temperature gave me a rough idea of the dew point. (It's not the heat, it's the humidity.) I happened to see that the air temperature didn't rise after the thermostat shut off. I ran to the window and saw the compressor still going, so I shut it off at the breaker box.

I believe contactor contacts are coated with silver. Over the years, it can disappear. Then they can stick. If the compressor keeps running without the indoor blower warming the evaporator, the compressor can be wrecked.

I wonder how often a stuck contactor is the cause of a wrecked compressor.

Reply to
J Burns

I have him tied up, under the bed. Burried him in a pile of leaky flash light batteries. I'm feeding him caffeine free diet coke and green jello with carrot shavings until he converts to Catholic.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I noticed you didn't ask any questions.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

With you charging $350 an hour, I couldn't afford to delay you with questions. Besides, I was afraid I'd slip and call the refrigerant "Freon," and then you'd tell all your smart friends.

Reply to
J Burns

J Burns wrote in news:mkq0g7$m9i$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No thought of trolling at all. Never crossed my mind. Keep the ideas coming.

Reply to
Boris

Tony Hwang wrote in news:o2%bx.72233$ snipped-for-privacy@fx03.iad:

big snip

Will do.

Reply to
Boris

Tony Hwang wrote in news:0B%bx.202244$ snipped-for-privacy@fx18.iad:

I believe the contactor was checked. BTW, what is "ODU"?

Reply to
Boris

J Burns wrote in news:mkqc2p$6d1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What's a 'drier'?

Reply to
Boris

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:EZ0cx.102453$ snipped-for-privacy@fx05.iad:

I will try and keep good notes when I go up Sunday, for myself, for a second opinion by perhaps another professional, and most of all, I owe it to all of those that have replied.

Reply to
Boris

It's the device on the pressure side, about the size of a couple of apples. It's there to filter out any debris, absorb any moisture....

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Is the plenum the sheet metal box on top of the up-flow funace? The box where the a/c evaporator is located, which cools the up-flow of the home's return air?

So, without the a/c or furnace running, the temp inside the plenum shoud be ambient (inside house temp). My understanding is that if the attic ductwork is working properly (sealed, routed, etc.), and the attic has decent insulation, I should expect about a 20 degree drop at the vents when the a/c is running.

Reply to
Boris

trader_4 wrote in news:418397a0-ef55-4f89-a48c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

To me, the pressure side is anywhere between the compressor out to the evaporator in. Is this drier thing in the a/c unit, or in the furnace? I'll look for it.

Reply to
Boris

My fan sucks air in through the condenser and blows it upward, so I rinsed from the outside.

Reply to
J Burns

I googled for a picture.

In case water gets into the refrigerant, the drier is supposed to collect it.

Reply to
J Burns

Mine is inside the access panel on the outdoor unit. Darn, next time I ran it, I wanted to see if I felt a temperature difference, but the fan won't pull much air through the condenser with the panel open.

If you're lucky, yours will be more accessible.

This link says that when ice forms in a thermostatic expansion valve, the system will quit cooling. The ice will melt and it will resume cooling as the ice slowly accumulates again.

J Burns

J Burns wrote in news:mksr8q$l5n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

So you rinsed in the direction of the suction. Doesn't that just wedge particles in more?

Mine may be the same. I think mine sucks air (and dirt) in through the top mounted fan.

Reply to
Boris

J Burns wrote in news:mksrno$ncd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks.