Measuring A/C Temp Solved, sort of...

Page 5 of 6
On 6/5/2015 1:09 PM, Boris wrote:

Removes particles and moisture from the refrigerant.
Often fondly called a filter drier.
On 6/4/2015 11:56 AM, Boris wrote:

I also hate scrapping out equipment unless I'm convinced it's beyond repair.
Some times, it takes a while to get a good diagnosis.
On 6/4/2015 11:34 AM, Boris wrote:

Almost yes. Too dirty to cool the returning hot REFRIGERANT which is coming back from the evaporator.
See? Like me, you're still learning. I learn new things about mine and other trades now and again.
Best wishes, and please let us know how it goes.
On 6/4/15 2:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hot refrigerant coming back from the evaporator? You're an impostor! What have you done with Stormy?
On 6/4/2015 4:13 PM, J Burns wrote:

I have him tied up, under the bed. Burried him in a pile of leaky flash light batteries. I'm feeding him caffeine free diet coke and green jello with carrot shavings until he converts to Catholic.

I will try and keep good notes when I go up Sunday, for myself, for a second opinion by perhaps another professional, and most of all, I owe it to all of those that have replied.
On 6/5/2015 1:14 PM, Boris wrote:

I'd sure enjoy hearing how it goes. Thank you so much for taking notes, and sharing.
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 11:25:56 AM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

I agree with Mr. Burns. If the pressure line near where it enters the evaporator is close to ambient temp, then cleaning the condenser isn't the issue, because it's obviously cooling. And if that's the case, if it were me, I wouldn't be paying to clean a defective unit. In my experience, it's normal for it to still be just slightly warm.

Hmmm...I'm not quite clear on that. When the unit is cooling the house, the inlet to the evaporator is cold to the touch. I never touched it when the unit stops cooling. I'll have to do that Sunday.
On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 11:39:05 AM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

The pressure line, ie the small line, say a foot from the evaporator shouldn't be cool. It should be ambient to just slightly warm. The low pressure line will be cold. And the pressure line real close to the plenum may be cold due to the other end of it being inside the cold plenum. And if you have that, then I don't see how it's an insufficient condenser cooling issue, because, it's cooled.

Is the plenum the sheet metal box on top of the up-flow funace? The box where the a/c evaporator is located, which cools the up-flow of the home's return air?
So, without the a/c or furnace running, the temp inside the plenum shoud be ambient (inside house temp). My understanding is that if the attic ductwork is working properly (sealed, routed, etc.), and the attic has decent insulation, I should expect about a 20 degree drop at the vents when the a/c is running.
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 1:52:07 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

Yes.

It depends on the actual operating conditions. I'd say about 17 to 20 is typical. But if you have ducts running in the attic, then I'd say it's going to be lower than if the ducts run in the basement. Those attic ducts are never insulated real well and if the attic is 115F, it's going to be a factor. You can also measure it close to the furnace.
On 6/5/2015 1:50 PM, Boris wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.
By gosh, I think he's got it!
On 6/4/2015 11:37 AM, Boris wrote:

If the condenser is dirty, the inlet to the evaporator may be higher temp than the outdoor air.
On 6/4/15 11:37 AM, Boris wrote:

Spraying refrigerant cools the evaporator. That would also cool the attached pressure line. It would be warmer a couple of feet from the evaporator, closer to the condenser.
trader_4 wrote:

I don't remember hearing dirty condenser is causing compressor OH and shut down. Dirty condenser just drops cooling efficiency.
On 6/4/2015 12:08 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

It's totally possible. And it was mentioned on the web page I sent a couple days ago, as doing just that.
I see compressor shut down (result of dirty condenser) regularly in refrigeration work.

What's the name of the purple stuff? Is it the foaming type?
BTW, took my family to visits friends in SLC a few years ago, and saw the Mormon Tabernacle Choir do a 4th of July performance. Amazing building with some pretty good singers.
On 6/3/2015 12:14 PM, Boris wrote:

I've used 4-x, Alki Foam, or Nubrite. They all work.
Yes, some of those singers are good.