Measuring A/C Temp Solved, sort of...

Page 4 of 6

I believe the contactor was checked. BTW, what is "ODU"?
big snip

Will do.
On 6/5/15 1:05 PM, Boris wrote:

rinsed from the outside.

So you rinsed in the direction of the suction. Doesn't that just wedge particles in more?
Mine may be the same. I think mine sucks air (and dirt) in through the top mounted fan.
On 6/5/15 3:44 PM, Boris wrote:

On 6/5/2015 2:55 PM, J Burns wrote:

Bad decision. Your actions were much less effective than they could have been.
On 6/5/15 10:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

already cooling very well.
I checked to see how the youtube guys did it. The first was Scott Harrell from Air Tite CLT. They specialize in HVAC design and maintenance for industry, data centers, and other critical applications. He did it from the outside. First he wet everything from the outside. Then he applied the foam to one section at a time so he could rinse each section before the foam damaged the aluminum.
The second was a representative of mainsupplies.com, an HVAC supply house. He did a home unit the same way Harrell did the industrial unit.
The third was a homeowner. His unit seemed to be plastered with dead seaweed. He took the fan off and hosed it from the inside. I would have done the same. After he put the fan back on, he said he would let everything dry several hours before running the AC. Hmmm....
The next guy had three units on a concrete slab. He spent a lot of time taking the fan off so he could remove the louvers. With them out of the way, a lot of fiber was visible on the condenser. He pulled some off with his fingers, then hosed it from the inside. Strangely, he said he was hosing it from the outside. I would have hosed that one from the inside, too. First, I would vacuumed the outside with a dusting brush.
The fifth guy had two units side by side. One looked clean, with anodized fins. The other condenser appeared to be covered with hardened pancake mix. He surprised me by hosing it from the outside, and it worked. I saw clean black fins. He got down and looked through to see that they were all clear.
I would have started by vacuuming mine, but there was nothing visible on the outside. I looked through the condenser, and all the holes looked clear. Clogging wasn't an issue, but I imagined a thin layer of dirt could slow the air a little or interfere with heat transfer. So I applied the foam from the outside, like the pros.
After rinsing, I turned on the AC and went over the condenser with a fine spray. I was using the rushing air to help the water rinse away any remaining cleaner or dirt.

I guess if the condenser fins don't get smaller from 'outside to inside', the only reason it may matter which side you apply the foam cleaner, is which side looks the most dirty. And then, I'd rinse from the same side I applied the foam.
When I get up there tomorrow, I'll have to make that judgement call. In the end, if I can see light through the fins when done, I've done a good cleaning job.
I'll first hand pick and vacuum off the larger stuff.
On 6/4/2015 11:56 AM, Boris wrote:

I'm with you. I don't like to discard equipment that can be repaired.
On 6/4/15 2:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Looking through records years ago, I saw that my unit had been professionally repaired only once. It was about 8 years old. It needed a drier and refrigerant.
I don't know how a technician diagnoses a restriction in a drier. I imagine he would feel a temperature difference between the inlet and the outlet.
On 6/4/2015 4:24 PM, J Burns wrote:

I noticed you didn't ask any questions.
On 6/4/15 8:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

questions. Besides, I was afraid I'd slip and call the refrigerant "Freon," and then you'd tell all your smart friends.

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 1:11:00 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

It's the device on the pressure side, about the size of a couple of apples. It's there to filter out any debris, absorb any moisture....

To me, the pressure side is anywhere between the compressor out to the evaporator in. Is this drier thing in the a/c unit, or in the furnace? I'll look for it.
On 6/5/15 2:17 PM, Boris wrote:

ran it, I wanted to see if I felt a temperature difference, but the fan won't pull much air through the condenser with the panel open.
If you're lucky, yours will be more accessible. http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/Refrigerant_Driers_Filters.php
This link says that when ice forms in a thermostatic expansion valve, the system will quit cooling. The ice will melt and it will resume cooling as the ice slowly accumulates again. http://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/TIF5000_Guide.htm
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 2:18:27 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

You have *two* lines running there. The small one is the pressure side, the large one the suction side. Also called high pressure and low pressure. The drier is in the pressure side, typically right outside the compressor unit.
On 6/5/2015 2:17 PM, Boris wrote:

When my Mom would tell me that she wanted me to do some thing, she would add "and that is a priority!" I'd alays ask if that is high or low.
Anyhow, as to the pressue tubing, you do realize there is high and low pressure tubing?
On 6/5/15 1:09 PM, Boris wrote:

<http://www.discountfurnacefilter.com/carrier-bryant-payne-kh43lg074-air-conditioner-filter-drier In case water gets into the refrigerant, the drier is supposed to collect it.

Thanks.