Measuring A/C Air Temp

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are using an infrared gun.
What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?
TIA
Boris wrote:

Uh, I think it's called a thermometer.
But, if they are using an IR gun they are probably measuring the temperature of the vent metal which should reflect the air temperature pretty well.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 05/05/2015 4:34 PM, Boris wrote: ...

Probably don't need to buy anything...just hang a reasonable-quality thermometer from the vent in the air flow and you'll be well within accuracy needed.

That was my thought.
Boris wrote:

ducts in a car. It has a 6 inch probe with a round dial attached to the end of the probe.
On 5/6/2015 10:04 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

That was pretty much standard equipment for all AC technicians at one time and they still work fine. I went a step further and drilled tight-fitting holes in my return-air duct and supply plenum at the furnace and permanently installed one of these thermometers in each. That way I can, with a glance, see both temperatures and see from the delta how well the HVAC is doing its job. Total cost was probably around $5 and I'll never have to try to figure out where I lost them.
BenignBodger wrote:

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 12:38:45 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:

Sounds like the kitchen meat thermometer I used.

That's an interesting and worthwhile idea. Like you say, it's readily visible at any time as a quick check and you don't have to go looking for thermometers, where to put them, etc.
On 5/5/2015 5:34 PM, Boris wrote:

Thermometer with a probe has always worked. Checking the vents helps, bur checking temp drop over the evap coil is good too.
Boris wrote:

I use IR gun
On 5/6/2015 1:42 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

In the US, we have to register our IR guns, and cannot legally use them in public places or federal or state buildings.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I also have multimeter with temperature probe. Use to measure Delta T to make sure A/C is working good.
On 5/6/2015 10:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Some times it's nice to be serious, other times it's acceptable to be comic.

I repair roll laminators for a living, I carry a one of those harbor freigh t ones, a customer went nuts, stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i p ointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun...... .:):)_:)
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 4:52:28 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

pointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nut s till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun.... ...:):)_:)
honestly i dont use the heat gun often, i can look at the film and tell if its hot enough or too hot......
every now and then someone questions the temperature, after a couple got st olen i cheaped out with harbor freight
On 5/6/2015 4:56 PM, bob haller wrote:

Bother, I just hate it when that happens.
On 5/6/2015 4:52 PM, bob haller wrote:

stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i pointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun.......:):)_:)

Worse, these type of creatures reproduce.
bob haller posted for all of us...

Did you take her temperature? She wanted a big gun.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Bed, Bath and Beyond, or any store with a kitchen department.
A popular model is 4 or 5 inches long, most of it probe, with a dial at the top. And a plastic sleeve to put the probe in. I have one somewhere.
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 3:19:48 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent. If it's a ceiling one, could use a piece of tape to hold it in for a few minutes to get a reading.