Measurements for retrofit windows

Quality replacement double hungs and sliders come with full screens. Single hungs too.

Reply to
clare

Wish I woulda checked that, when I bought the one new storm window after I blacksmithed all the storm windows when I moved in here, and came up short one glass panel. The cheap box-store replacement only has one movable pane.

I was feeling kinda poor after the closing costs when I bought this place, and reputtying the 1960 builder-grade singe-pane double hungs, and sorta-fixing the triple-track storms, was supposed to be a temporary work-around until I could save up for new windows. But that was five years ago, and it improved things so much, I never felt inclined to spend that big a chunk of cash that I would never get back at resale. I probably should replace the storms, and pull the interior casings and foam-fill the cavities, though.

Reply to
aemeijers

That's nonsense. You know nothing about my house, condition of my window frames/sills, the work quality of the installers, retrofit versus new construction window costs here, final appearance etc. And "frame out" for the same price is just ridiculous. Silly too, like pulling a car engine because the tires are flat. Not saying which way to go for everyone, as you are, just what worked for me. BTW, my house is brick and all the window frames and sills were solid. And the retrofits look real good to us. Double-hung retros wouldn't look right and would have reduced light, the crank-outs increased it. I scoped all this out when I did it. That's what anybody should do. No regrets at all.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith