mcculloch electric chainsaw leaks

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:43:15 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Yep
The Apeman

No crack
I didn't say before, nut my Poulan is a pole saw. Works fine, but I can't handle the saw's weight at the end of pole when I am six feet in the air on a ladder!
Thanks
The Apeman
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 15:34:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

(G)
The Apeman

I have an assortment of brands (all middle of the road) in varying sizes (I can't resist when I see them for $5.00 at the Goodwill). They all leak oil. I've found that storing them in 5 gallon buckets with the bar pointing to the sky minimizes the leaking. I hang the buckets from the rafters in the garage, freeing up space for the rest of my Goodwill finds.

I am amazed what this thread has revealed about chainsaws. Chainsaw buckets hanging from a rafter are my likely choice.
Apeman
Ape wrote the following on 1/5/2013 7:06 PM (ET):

If your saw has a hole in the far end of the bar, bang a nail in the wall and hang the saw on it so the oil stays in the reservoir.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If i does, I will do it - shud work
Apeman

I have two chainsaws, a small one for light trimming and a bigger one for real work. Both drip if I hang them chain down, by the handles. But both have holes in the far end of the bar, and I just hang them from the bar with the resevoir end down and everything is fine as long as the cap on the filler is tight.
On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 09:17:05 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

My Mcculloch and Poulan are both hanging like that - they both have hole near the bar end. They have been like that all day now. So far no oil, and both oil tanks are near full.
I studied the way the Mcculloch tank was designed, and it seems to me that the oil feed to lubricate the chain is meant to function exactly like it would if it simply leaked. The only tank outlet is a small pin hole that lays next to and almost onto the chain bar, and the oil simply leaks out of there onto the bar. And it would do that as long as there was any oil in the tank near the hole, whether the chainsaw was running or not. Cheap way to do it! I wonder if all chainsaws are lubricated that way. This is all a surprise to me.
Apeman
Hanging it chain down will cause the oil to leak out, you should hang it chain up.