McCoy's Building Supply Centers - The Customer Comes LAST - After Employees ..

McCoy's employee "Bobby" confronted me at the cash register after I had selected 2 sheets of plywood to board up my windows to protect my property from Rita's fury,
He said that the plywood was for McCoy's employees only. Several of us were denied supplies so that McCoy's employees would have first choice at their materials.
I was flabbergasted that a company would have such a policy -
"Customer's come last at McCoys Building Supply Centers."
James

Wow, that is terrible. I'm sure you raised hell as the product was out there for sale. I'm sure I'd have raised a lot of noise and had the manager thee.

I have to assume that "Bobby" was the manager. Yes, I raised hell and was told to leave the store. I refused and they said they would call the police. I said "go ahead" and they did call the police.
But hurricane Rita was bearing down and the police did not come while I was there.
I left without the plywood.
Thanks for understanding.
James.

shame you couldn't walk out with the plywood.

Without knowing any more details, let me throw out a few theoretical "maybe" ideas...
Maybe the plywood was already spoken for, by the employee(s).
Maybe the only reason the ply was still on the shelf was that the employee(s) were there, at work.
Maybe the reason they were at work was to try to help other people rather than take care of their own needs.
Maybe there's more to it than your simple story.

DJ

Then it should have been removed from display. That's pretty basic.

If it's on display, then it should be for sale to anyone who wants it.

Oh, PLEASE!
rusty redcloud

don't pay any attention to *DJ* he really IS at home watching TV

Legally, any store can refuse to do business with ANYONE, for any reason. That's how stores were able to avoid black customers back in the day. But, only a complete asshole of a manager would actually do that. The police probably wouldn't have been able to help, unfortunately.
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:36:09 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Sort of simplistic...There was a little more to it than that. In fact I don't recall laws ("back in the day") allowing refusal of services to a customer to be as obvious as in current times, but I was younger then. Black people "abided"; so to speak, to unwritten laws...
The store was wrong.
Call your local TV station and report to them the situation that occured.
Most news stations LOVE this type of story when the regular new becomes boring.
Tom
On 27 Sep 2005 11:44:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Will do.