Maytag Washing machine won't agitate

My top load washing machine will fill, rinse, spin and drain but won't agitate Any ideas what may be wrong? We looked on the bottom of the machine and both belts look intact. We do smell a bad burning odor when the machine is set to agitate. thanks for any help Cindy Trussville AL
My top load washing machine will fill, rinse, spin and drain but won't agitate Any ideas what may be wrong? We looked on the bottom of the machine and both belts look intact. We do smell a bad burning odor when the machine is set to agitate. thanks for any help Cindy Trussville AL
If the washer won't agitate at all, but the motor and belts are turning, then you may have drive coupling or transmission issues. In this case, it is well worthwhile to have a technician check the machine to verify this. Sometimes, the base of your agitator can strip out, especially from overloading. In such a case, the splines are damaged inside the agitator, and can be seen after the agitator is removed.
Mike
My top load washing machine will fill, rinse, spin and drain but won't agitate Any ideas what may be wrong? We looked on the bottom of the machine and both belts look intact. We do smell a bad burning odor when the machine is set to agitate. thanks for any help Cindy Trussville AL
If the washer won't agitate at all, but the motor and belts are turning, then you may have drive coupling or transmission issues. In this case, it is well worthwhile to have a technician check the machine to verify this. Sometimes, the base of your agitator can strip out, especially from overloading. In such a case, the splines are damaged inside the agitator, and can be seen after the agitator is removed.
Mike
Cindy Dumas wrote:

Have you called the Maytag repairman? He's not busy.
Ducking and running,
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
If the washer won't agitate at all, but the motor and belts are turning, then you may have drive coupling or transmission issues. In this case, it is well worthwhile to have a technician check the machine to verify this. Sometimes, the base of your agitator can strip out, especially from overloading. In such a case, the splines are damaged inside the agitator, and can be seen after the agitator is removed.
Mike

Transmission might be locked up in agitate mode but I would think you would hear belts screaming or another odd things.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
Cindy Dumas wrote:

Sure it does. It's got you agitated. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit