maytag washing machine

Hi
I have a five year old maytag performa washing machine and at the rinse cycle there is just a low hum. I can manually turn dial to pass the rinse cycle and spin will work. Is this a problem with timer or something else?Thanks for any advice.
This is how I would approach your problem. If your washer will fill in hot and cold, agitate in all speeds, drain/spin in all speeds, by manually advancing the timer to specific places on the timer dial, but it won't do all those things by allowing the timer to progress through the cycles on its own, then the timer would be the appropriate component to look at.
I would go to http://www.applianceaid.com/ and follow the steps to identify the problem. I have used this site twice to diagnose and repair my washing machine. I've saved hundreds on service calls. The part have cost me no more than $20.
NJTrout