Maytag Washer won't stop wash cycle

Hi - Our Maytag washer is about 20 years old and just started to malfunction. It won't end the wash/agitation cyce - my last load of clothes sure got clean but we had to force it through the spin and rinse cycles. Before we spend money on a timer - could it be something else? Model = A612 Laurie
On Feb 3, 11:54 am, snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com wrote:

I really have no idea.
But your washer is 20 years old.
Consider replacing it.
Parts wear out.
I imagine all or most of the parts on your washer are 20 years old.
We buy used appliances at public auctions, yard sales and the like.
We never pay much for them and usually get several years of service out of them.
And when they do break we just pitch them and buy another.
We got 9 years use from a $5.00 dryer as example.
On 3 Feb 2007 09:30:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You will have a electro-mechanical timer drum to cycle through the wash cycles. These have tabs on the drum to open and close switches. 20 years is pretty good service. It is not repairable as you cannot buy just the tab drum portion. Remove the timer unit and bring it to the parts supplies shop to get a replacement. My guess is it will cost around $40. The electrical connections are grouped into a multi-pin Molex connector. By bringing the part there you can also match the plug as the correct replacement part.

It certainly sounds like a timer. You may want to check out the troubleshooting sections at www.applainceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com for other ideas.
I had the same machine at about the same age. It is reaching the end of its life so after checking the timer price, think about the cost of other repairs that may come up too. How are the belts? Any of the hoses going to crack soon? The timer is probably $100, belts about $25. Hard to say, you may get another 10 years, but it may have other problems in a couple of weeks.