Maytag washer won't spin

My washer stopped spinning. Everything else works. There is a strong burning smell when I run it on spin cycle. Belts seem okay. I don't see anything along side the tub that might stop it. Could it be the transmission?
This is a top loader model #LAT5006AAE
This site is the best. Saved me $150 in repairman costs and helped me diagnose my washer's problems and the $12 repair.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_11.asp

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:27:27 -0600, "bluper"

How old is your washer?

Well, you don't want to run it much, but you could still run it another 5 seconds. Put your flashlight or desk lamp shining on the pully that is on the transmission shaft, and see if it turns when it is supposed to. If it turns and the belt doesn't, or if the belt turns as fast as the driving pulley and some other pully doesn't turn as fast as the belt driving it, it's not the transmission
I don't think a transmission would make a burning smell, but the belt rubbing against one of the pulleys would, eventually. I don't know if I or you can always tell by feeling if a belt has burnt due to rubbing.
The next choice is the motor, but if it only has one motor and if everything else works, if the motor is smoking, I am not a pro, but it seems it would only be if the load during spinning is too great.]
I don't know if all washers permit this -- I don't even know if any of mine have allowed it** -- but when the washer is off, can you turn the drum with your hands? Is it easy or hard or very hard?
**My dryer allows it. Probably haven't had occasion to check my washer.