My Maytag Top Loader Model #LAT5006AAE Stopped Spinning - Possible Transmission Issue? (2023 Update)

My washer stopped spinning. Everything else works. There is a strong burning smell when I run it on spin cycle. Belts seem okay. I don't see anything along side the tub that might stop it. Could it be the transmission?

Reply to
bluper

Howdy there, friend! Sorry to hear about the trouble with your Maytag top loader model #LAT5006AAE washer . Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like the issue might be with the transmission. Here are a few things you can check to help diagnose the issue:

  1. Check the clutch: The clutch connects the transmission and the inner tub, and helps the tub spin to the required speed. If it's faulty, the washer won't spin. To check the clutch, turn the washer on a cycle and see if the tub is rotating at all. If it's not, it's likely that the clutch is worn out.
  2. Check the door lock: The door lock secures the washer door shut during operation, and if it's defective, the washer may stop mid-cycle. Check to see if the washer door is latched shut, and if not, the door switch might be preventing the washer from operating.
  3. Check the load size: If your washer is violently shaking during the spin cycle, it could mean that you've put too much laundry in the washer. Try lightening the load, or redistributing it. If that doesn't work, you may have a bad shock absorber or dampener, which will need to be replaced .

As for the strong burning smell, it's possible that the issue is with the transmission, as you've mentioned. Here are a few more things you can check:

  1. Check the drive belt: Even if it looks okay, it could be worn or loose, which can cause burning smells. Check for any signs of wear or damage, and tighten it up if necessary.
  2. Inspect the pulley: The pulley can also cause burning smells if it's worn or damaged. Check for any signs of wear or damage, and replace it if necessary.
  3. Look at the motor: If the motor is overheating, it can cause burning smells. Check to see if it's running too hot or if it's making any strange noises. If it is, it might need to be replaced.

As for tools and materials you'll need for fixing the transmission, the following list should get you started:

  • Screwdriver
  • Pliers
  • Replacement clutch
  • Replacement drive belt
  • Replacement pulley
  • Replacement motor (if necessary)

Remember, if you're not comfortable with any of these troubleshooting steps, or if you don't have the right tools, it might be best to call in a professional repairman.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

This is a top loader model #LAT5006AAE

Reply to
bluper

This site is the best. Saved me $150 in repairman costs and helped me diagnose my washer's problems and the $12 repair.

Shecky

How old is your washer?

Well, you don't want to run it much, but you could still run it another 5 seconds. Put your flashlight or desk lamp shining on the pully that is on the transmission shaft, and see if it turns when it is supposed to. If it turns and the belt doesn't, or if the belt turns as fast as the driving pulley and some other pully doesn't turn as fast as the belt driving it, it's not the transmission

I don't think a transmission would make a burning smell, but the belt rubbing against one of the pulleys would, eventually. I don't know if I or you can always tell by feeling if a belt has burnt due to rubbing.

The next choice is the motor, but if it only has one motor and if everything else works, if the motor is smoking, I am not a pro, but it seems it would only be if the load during spinning is too great.]

I don't know if all washers permit this -- I don't even know if any of mine have allowed it** -- but when the washer is off, can you turn the drum with your hands? Is it easy or hard or very hard?

**My dryer allows it. Probably haven't had occasion to check my washer.
Reply to
mm

Thanks for you help. Unable to do laundry for years I've been wearing the same shirts, just rotating them. Our co-workers have complained about the smell.

Did not take long to get used to not wearing underwear though, a real plus, especially if you want a quickie in the back room.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski