Maytag washer has stuck comforter.

This approximately 20 year old Maytag washing machine, model # 5228-1 Q621973, has a comforter stuck between the agitator and the tub. I haven't been able to have a look at it yet but I was wondering if this is as easy as just removing the agitator and the comforter will be set free. If this is the case, is it easy to remove the agitator?
Thanks for your reply.
David Farber L.A., CA
http://www.applianceaid.com/generalwash.html#agitator

It turned out that the there was a 1/2" nut tucked away under the removable top cover of the agitator. It was a little tricky trying to keep the basket from moving as I applied counter-clockwise force to the nut.
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
L.A., CA
David Farber wrote:

having been an appliance repairman in the last life (retired now) I have done just that! Remove the agitator should be all that's neccessary.
Frank

check for parts diagrams if needed free at: http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_11.asp