Maytag washer broke!

I have a pretty troublesome Maytag clothes washer (highly NOT recommended).
Vertical (opening on top).
This time the following is happening:
1) After the spin cycle, the clothes are wet
2) During spin cycle:
- the tub does not spin (as evidenced by opening the lid quickly)
- There are strange noises from inside, like something flapping, it would sound like a 8" piece of belt on a spinning shaft that hits things (note I said _sound_, I did not look inside and it would be unlikely to be the case).
- Also a humming sound is heard, like a pump is running normally
- The tub does not want to turn, when I try to turn it by hand
Any ideas what to look for?
Ignoramus28084 wrote:

Remove the plug from the wall. Under the lip at the bottom of the front panel you will find two Philips screws. Remove them. You will then be able to remove the front panel. Look around, you will likely see a bad belt. Remove it, take it to the parts store and get a new one, replace it. (Oh yea, bring the make model etc information with you to the store.)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

You won't see the belts behind the front panel on a Maytag. You need to tip the machine and look at the bottom. The direction of rotation determines whether the machine will agitate or spin. The big pulley connects to a helical clutch. In one direction a brake keeps the basket from spinning, and the pulley drives the grarbox. In the other direction, that brake is released and the basket and gearbox spin.

Yes, I did all that. The pulley spins just fine. The motor runs etc. The problem is that it is not engaging anything. Sometimes I heard rumbling noises, like a penny in an empty transmission. Very obnoxious sounds.
How do you take the god damn thing apart? Besides emoving a 1.5x1.5 ft bask door, the rest does not seem easily removable. I can supply photos if anyone is interested.
On Sat, 06 May 2006 03:43:50 GMT, Ignoramus22440

http://www.repairclinic.com/whirlpool-washing-machine-parts-gg.htm - have instructions for taking apart a lot of macines plus parts ID.