Maytag v. Carrier furnace?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am a novice when it comes to HVAC. We ar planning to purchase a two-stage variable speed (side vent) gas furnac and have the decision down to 2 bids:
1. Maytag 92% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty
2. Carrier 94.5% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty but priced $60 more than the Maytag
I have found lots of info on Carrier--so feel good about that product But we can't find a lot of info on Maytag. My husband feels that ther is probably no difference between the quality of the two products an wants to go with the cheaper Maytag. I am hesitant b/c they've onl been on the market for 4 years.
If you had to choose between the 2, which would it be, given the $60 price difference? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Bot installers are highly reputable (per Angie's List, our prior experienc and others' input).
Thanks, Stephani
-- StephanieKah ----------------------------------------------------------------------- StephanieKahl's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=9 View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?tX45
StephanieKahl wrote:

Maytag is not a bad product. If you want to save $600 Maytag would work well.

What's your anual heating bill? 2.5% more effecient should be a no brainer if you live in a heavy use area, will pay for itself very quickly. Even if they were equal I would still opt for the Carrier, that's what Carrier does, let Maytag make their washers and driers.

We just moved into the house at the end of spring, so I do not have an accurate idea of heating costs.
Thanks for the feedback. --Stephanie
--
StephanieKahl

call the utility and ask for the highest and lowest previous bill for the home. It will only be a guide but you will have an idea of what to expect this winter.
I believe I would call some more contractors and get another price for a different make
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:50:39 -0400, StephanieKahl

called ... he was taking a break at work... and he installs HVAC equiptment...as well as repairs them So I asked him...which would he install.
Simple answer... flip a coin... he has no complaints about either brand...
Bob G.
Carrier, with out a doubt
wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am a novice when it comes to HVAC. We are planning to purchase a two-stage variable speed (side vent) gas furnace and have the decision down to 2 bids:
1. Maytag 92% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty
2. Carrier 94.5% 80K BTU furnace; 10-yr. p/l warranty but priced $600 more than the Maytag
I have found lots of info on Carrier--so feel good about that product. But we can't find a lot of info on Maytag. My husband feels that there is probably no difference between the quality of the two products and wants to go with the cheaper Maytag. I am hesitant b/c they've only been on the market for 4 years.
If you had to choose between the 2, which would it be, given the $600 price difference? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Both installers are highly reputable (per Angie's List, our prior experience and others' input).
Thanks, Stephanie
-- StephanieKahl ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------ StephanieKahl's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?tX453
We went with Carrier. We realized that the Maytag bid didn't include the price of a new humidifier, although the contractor threw it in at no charge to be competitive. And we figure we'll recoup the $200 difference (after figuring for the price of a humidifier) within a year on our gas bill.
Thanks for all the input. Now I know where to go when I have a question or two or twenty. --Stephanie
--
StephanieKahl