Maytag two-belt washer question

Almost done getting my LA512 shipshape and installed. Just a question about belts now. I'm going to replace them, but I noticed a place that said to only use genuine Maytag belts. Any particular reason besides company profits? Unless they have some kind of special formulation (a la Kevlar-jacketed like some variable transmissions use), a Gates or KS of the same length, width, and profile depth should be just fine.
GTO(John)

Any good brand of belt should work. If it was a power take off from a turbine on a Boeing 747, I'd take the precaution. The Maytag pump is not a particularly critical application.
GTO69RA4 wrote:

Hi,
Not unless you enjoy replacing the motor!!
The Maytag belts are cloth and they slip and act like a clutch when the washer is running....esp in the spin/drain mode! Regular rubber belts will grab too quickly and kill the motor.
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+maytagpumpbelt.html http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+maydrivbel.html Drive and pump belts. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Sorry if this doesn't appear in the thread, my newsreader didn't pick up anything for a couple days.
All right, so the Maytag belt is a cloth jacket belt so it can slip. In there anything special about it? It looks like a normal cloth belt to me, no more clothier than the average one. Off-the-shelf belts can be bought in either cloth jacket or open (rubber) side.
GTO(John)
G'day,
GTO69RA4 wrote:

The cloth part is special. Other than that you will have to ask Maytag if they have any other special goobers in there!!

Good luck with the repair!! :) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

Turns out Gates has a list of belts for various Maytag models on their site, and it seems to point to the average cloth-jacket belts. Looks like there isn't any voodoo going on.
GTO(John)