Maytag SUCKS!

I have a Magic Chef electric range, made by Maytag. The electric control panel crapped out, as they are known to do. Couldn't find the part locally, so I went to www.maytag.com, and ordered the part from them. I looked at their web site parts diagram to order the part. A week later without a stove, I received my ordered part. Well, when I opened the box, I don't find a white membrane switch panel for a range. I find a stainless backplate assembly for a commercial washing machine. I checked the part number on the box, and it matched what I ordered. So I called Maytag to explain the situation. After a long wait, I'm informed that the part I ordered, as shown on their website, is no longer available. Not only did these douchebags use the same part number for different parts, they didn't change their website to reflect the fact that the part I wanted no longer existed! So it allowed me to order the wrong part that I now have to return. They WERE nice enough to allow me to repackage it, drive to UPS, and make sure it got back to them for a refund. So now I have a range that would work, but for a crappy part they no longer offer. When I then ask if my only alternative was a new stove, I was told yes. It sure as hell won't be a Maytag!!
You probably won't be happy with GE either. They have been shortening the time they keep parts too. When you get down to it, considering inflation, stoves are pretty darn cheap so companies figure spending $200 to fix a 10 year old stove isn't worth it. You might have better luck with Sears Kenmore. I had a 20 year old item and although the website said the part was no longer available when I called to double check they still had it and sent it to me. Although if the Kenmore stove is made by GE maybe parts would not be available.

GE's the worst I've seen with over priced replacement parts and model lines changing yearly (if not sooner). When a part is no longer available for an appliance less than 5 years old it's a shame and GE if pressed will offer the customer $50 (or whatever) towards the cost of buying a new *GE* appliance. Who'd want another one with such a track record??
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+range
=~~~~~~

Why don't you post the range's model AND serial number along with a description of the part it needs and we'll see if someone can find one somewhere for you?
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Magic+Chef+range
=~~~~~~
Boy talking about parts, we have a top of the line Kitchenaid convection slide in range, with the glass cooktop..The front left burner which is the dual one, the switch burned out..They had to order a replacement which seemed to be a "universal replacement" as the guy had to use an adapter to get the knob to fit back on..About two weeks later the knob came off and I had to pry the adapter out of the switch and glue it into the knob..This stove is less than two years old..So guess this happens even with some of the better stuff too... John

"John" <> wrote in message ...

I wonder if there is such a thing as "better stuff" anymore. Seems like the top brand names are dumbing down in price over quality. Ed

pay for it. A Viking or Vulcan or Wolf or Imperial commercial range will last for generations under home use. You can also find the equivalent in refrigeration. The only downside I can see is that cabinetry will almost certainly have to be rejiggered to fit but having this sort of equipment will make any serious cook happy.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Sure, it is better, but not in the same category. I don't want to buy the White House when all I want is a sturdy garden shed.
In appliances, GE, Hotpoint, Gibson, many others were mediocre but affordable to the masses. Frigidaire (when it was a part of GM) was better quality, as was Maytag, Kitchen Aid. You paid a premium of about 20%. Still affordable by the middle class. You are suggesting a premium of about 200% or more. I see enough complaints about the Vikings, DCS, etc that I wonder just how much better they are under the glitz. Ed
I had an expensive Asko dishwasher. It was junk. Very quiet though. Even silent when it was broken 4 times in 6 years.
wrote in message

Go for Bosch.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Try Bosch for washers, dryers, and dishwashers. I also had a Maytag convection oven and it was terrible.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
John wrote in message ...

Most manufacturers have gone to 'adaptable' replacements for surface burner switches. It doesn't make sense to stock hundreds or thousands of different switches just because the shaft length is slightly longer or shorter or the mounting is slightly different when the actual switches act exactly the same.
They have gone one step too far though IMO where they only sell a switch with a single shaft type and you have to install plastic adapters to change it so the various knobs will fit. Not too long ago they sold several universal switches with the various shaft types (only 3-4 different shafts were ever used!) so the knobs actually fit onto the switch's shaft properly. Those were the days? :(
You can see the two common universal surface element switch types at the following links. The only difference between them is one has to be pushed in before being able to be turned (for safety I guess), the other just turns.
Range Surface Element Switch http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc &14
Range Surface Burner Switch - 'Push to Turn' http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rcd7716
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=KitchenAid+range