Maytag: RIP

NEWTON, Iowa (AP) -- Shareholders of Maytag Corp. on Thursday approved the sale of the company to rival appliance-maker Whirlpool Corp. for about $1.79 billion in cash and stock.... If the transaction is cleared by the U.S. Department of Justice early next year, it will mark the end of the iconic Iowa-based company as an independent appliance manufacturer.

If approved the government, Maytag shareholders will receive $21 a share, payable half in cash and half in a fraction of Whirlpool stock. The exact amount Maytag shareholders will get in stock depends on the value of Whirlpool shares when the deal closes. Maytag will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Whirlpool.

Newton-based Maytag was founded in 1893 by Fred Maytag, a maker of farm tools, who introduced a wooden-tub washing machine 14 years later. His innovative designs swept the nation and the company has remained a home- appliance leader for a century.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I work for Whirlpool and I have found out that they are going to keep that Maytag Plant running. (try to turn it around , out of the RED. )

I hope all goes good!!!! We need to KEEP ALL the good old U.S.A. Plants running. and not to ship them overseas.

Reply to
Charles Beener

heh... and we just bought a whole pile of Maytag appliances.

Reply to
phaeton

From what I hear about Maytag quality going downhill nowdays, it's probably for the best.

Reply to
nomedeplame

Didn't Maytag, not to long ago, close its plant in Galesburg, Illinois and move it to Mexico? Where are Whirlpools made? Jack

Reply to
tinacci336

Their quality sucks now unfortunately. My theory is Whirlpool wants them for their service network.

Reply to
Art

Whirlpool is closing a plant in Arkansas employing 750 people and building a new one in Mexico employing 1000. So much for the good ole USA.

Reply to
Joe V