Maytag refuses help with Magic Chef fridge :-(

A friend of mine has a problem with a Magic Chef fridge. It can no longer keep things cold - after a short 5 years of life. The settings are at the top and it barely works as a fridge. My guess is that it has lost its refrigerant charge.
I visited Maytag's web site and found a nice section that claims to help DIYers solve problems. I looked up the numbers, and filled out the online help form but it didn't recognize the model #. I called Maytag and was told by the first person that they are having some problems with their web site. I was then passed to a "troubleshooter" and was told that they provide no such help for Magic Chef fridges, and she didn't know why. They refused to provide a scrap of info except the name of a servicing company.
Help appreciated.
Sd

Doubt it lost the charge It could be many other things. Frozen coil, dead fan between the freezer and fridge sections.
Try www.repairclinic.com or www.appliance411.com for more information. Ed

longer
dead
Thanks Edwin for the extremely fast reply :-)
Visited repair clinic and selected refrigerator help. The page loaded without the big graphic. Then I sent them email but the input box is miniscule - could just get the make and model # and "Runs but can't keep cold" into it. Then, I pressed the Continue button and a page with "Your shopping cart is empty" popped up. No info on whether the inputted contents went anywhere. A really poor web site.
The second web site brings me back to the first one for help :-(
Thanks for your effort anyway.
Sd

I agree!

Not that the graphic would help diagnose a problem. JFYI. It requires your browser to have Flash installed.

I guess you didn't look around very much? One link from that site's 'Appliance Links' section follows:
My frost free refrigerator's fridge section is not cold enough. What might be the problem? http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDe9

The Maytag's DIY section doesn't require a model number. The only places which do are the owner's manual section, the registering your appliance and the parts look up section none of which would help you diagnose a problem. You can see Maytag's DIY section for refrigerators at the following link:
http://www.maytag.com/mths/cust_serv/troubleshooting/questions.jsp?dom ain=Refrigerators
(should all be on one line)

They will, however, just not on the web site and not free unless you're a factory authorized service technician.
It is true however that they do not have any manuals available on-line for older Magic Chef or Norge products.

You mean how to fix the appliance? Few manufacturers offer such a service for free I'm afraid. Some don't offer them to consumers at all, that's what they train their authorized service depots for.
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Magic+Chef+fridge
=~~~~~~
Call a repairman, it cant be that hard to do
Ha, Mark you must be a repairman out of work. Condolences.
Showing your email address like that suggests you are new to newsgroups.
Look forward to tons of spam soon. Have fun!
Sd
PS Repairmen have their fair share of scam artists. I want to know the problem before I call anyone.