Maytag refrigerator won't stay cold ++ emergency++

Can anyone help. My mother has a freezer (top) frig (below) The freezer and frig were not staying cold. we cleaned all ince and took everything out of the freezer. We finaly got it to work.

the frig however is not staying cold. The light that shows what temp the frig is will not light up. the icemaker temp readiing is lit. Ice is being made and freezeris fine. there is some water leaking out of the bottom of the frig. this is about 5 yrs. old

Reply to
terry

Hard to say from here. Someone may have a better idea, but the only thing that comes to my mind is some ice blockage in the internal air vents. The only fix is to allow the whole thing to totally warm up to room temperature, but of course you will not have a working frig for maybe 8-16 hours. You might find a neighbor to hold your food while you give that a try, or call the repairperson.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hey Terry,

If there is a grille/vent at the bottom, take it off and shine a flashlight under to see if the condenser coil is clogged, if so, take a vacuum with a pointed nozzle and suck up the muck and hair and dirt, but be careful and don't bother the timer or any wires and don't bend the coil or coil wires.

But if the coils are in the back of the fridge/freezer, then vacumm them if they're dirty also, but that probably won't fix your problem.

mrkool

terry wrote:

Reply to
mrkool

Thanks,

we unplugged the frig and let it sit over night. It seemed to work fine the next day but today the freezer is at 27 or so, so, I suppose there is more to it than I would like to think.

Terry

Reply to
terry