Maytag pulley removal?

Hello,

The plastic pulley on the motor is badly worn on my Admiral (Maytag) Washing Machine (basically starting to split apart). I have ordered a new pulley but a bit worried I won't be able to remove the old one since I see no obvious way to do this minus brute force.

The plastic pulley below the transmission is also a bit warped. With a sticker "200 pounds of pressure, caution", is it feasible to replace this pulley? I am not sure if the whole assembly is spring loaded or if I can manage to get the pulley changed w/o some sort of hydraulic tool.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony

All plastic? Break/cut/chip it off.

If it has a stuck metal hub, get a cheap gear puller tool from the auto parts store or Harbor Freight. DO NOT apply axial force to the motor bearings by hammering on the shaft.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hi,

I use a pulley puller to remove it, but the odd time the puller just slips off if the motor pulley is too badly damaged....then we just cut it off, a drumel tool works well. The new one is tough to get back on, I use a socket and hammer.

The brake above that pulley has the 200lb spring, that pulley is easy to change but must remember the way each washer comes off with the pulley so they can be put back on in the *same* order.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff