Maytag Performa Washer moves water to fast

Hi
We have a Performa PAV2000 and when it goes into its spin cycle, the water is moved out of the washer faster than the drain can handle.
Is there a way to regulate the pressure / speed at which the water is expelled from the tub??
thanks
Perhaps your drain in partially plugged. Rick

Drain is ok, just the pump is pushing water at a velocity higher than the drain can move it. Need to find out if its possible to slow it down

As another poster said, your drain may need cleaning. That said, the flow rate may be reduced by installing an orifice in the discharge line. Some kind of a plug with a hole that is no larger than half the internal diameter of the hose should make a difference. Might be a piece of copper pipe with a cap and a hole drilled in the cap.
I did this once, then worried that something like a loose button might plug the orifice but it never happened. Sorry, I don't remember the details of the orifice or exactly where I placed it in the discharge line. I later increased the height of the pipe the that receives the discharge hose about a foot. That was enough to eliminate overflow without reducing the discharge rate.
SJF
I will try that, how did you mount the plug in the discharge line?

What are you talking about?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
Washer is fine, drain system needs attention!
Sewer line is a 3" drain, and we had a guy come out and rooter it with 3"blade. The drain and trap was replaced about 3 months ago, and we had a lower capacity washer on the drain with no problems. This other washer pushes out water like a fire hose and im not kidding. Seems almost abnormal.
Noozer
Quote:That said, the flow rate may be reduced by installing an orifice in the discharge line
I was asking how one would go about mounting an orfice in the discharge line so that it doesnt move.
Are you sure some ball of lint didn't get caught in the pipe further down the line? You might want to try some drain cleaner down the pipe and let it sit in there for a while.

Hi Art,
We have tried this at 2 different points. I rent the first 2 townhomes on the lot and it happens in both houses. I know it seems awkard but this thing really pushes out water fast.

washers with new. The new models have a high volume/low pressure pump rather than the other way around like old. A friend of mine had to replumb the drains in his laundry room with larger pipe because of this problem. I think his old pipes were 1 1/4 and wouldn't hold the volume. Check the installation sheet for your new washer...it will tell you the minimum size drain pipe needed. Another possibility is improper venting of the drain. When that water hits the drain, the air in the pipe has to go somewhere to make room for the water...if it can't move up the vent stack or get out around the hose where it goes in the pipe, the water will come back out on the floor.
Tom G.
You have an inadequate drain. It's either clogged, or too small to begin with.
--
Steve Barker