Maytag Neptune Drying Center

Has anyone purchased this high end drying center? It just hit the market in the last 4 months. Escentially it's a regular dryer with a cabinet on top. The cabinet has its own electric heater which allows you to hang dry clothing on hangers or lay items on a screen type shelving. The idea is you can gently dry items without tumbling, remove odors, and remove wrinkles. My wife seems to dry more items by hanging these days than complete tumble drying so this seemed to be a good idea for us.

The concept looks good but we have run into a snag with this new dryer. Apparently the upper cabinet is not vented to the outside and moisture laden air is apparently parceled out into the existing room. In our case the unit is parceling out this moisture all over the insides of the cabinet and every metal seam is dripping water onto the floor. Enough in fact to cause puddles.

What concerns me even more is the moisture that is accumulating over the contol panel and I have visible water droplets running down it. We are running with the second control board which has also gone bad. After 6 weeks of ownership Maytag cannot resolve the problem and is going to give me another unit of the same model. I commend them for this. We are crossing our fingers that this unit is better since the moisture around the electronics is going to be a real problem.

From what we have found out, units in cold basements or other cold areas have seen this problem. Obviously you are not told about this when you buy one of these units. In our case we are in a living area that is warm and at the proper humidity. Answers from them have run the gammet from overloading (we are not) too cool a climate (not in our case), or not allowing the steam water bottle to be present (regular drying program for wet clothes uses steam near the end of the drying cycle).

Bottom line I expect some definate changes in both the drying programs and instructions for future models. I have a feeling we are the beta testers of this product or I just bought a lemon. At this point we are awaiting delivery of another unit. Hopefully we will find that we got a lemon...

Jack

Reply to
jcanavera

If Maytag backs this as well as they did their early Neptune washers you should be ok. Even though Neptune washers may be over 5 years old, if you call them and say you have mildew growth on the seal they come to your house and upgrade the seal, inner door and circuit board so the washer washes better and the seal inhibits mildew growth and has a drain.

Reply to
Art

Some Neptune washer owners may disagree with you. JFYI. There are currently a number of class action suits in the progress (see the following link for details of *one* of them) about that very product. I myself have heard complaints from many, many owners of Neptune washers.

The ones which didn't have any (or very few) problems are usually satisfied with the product's performance though.

But maybe they'll do better with this upscale product?

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks for the link. My washer is one of the models included in the class action. The free Maytag repair addressed all 3 issues. We never had a control board failure but the board was replaced for free to provide improved washing cycles. We had a very minor mildew stain on the seal and that was eliminated by the new inner door, seal and drain holes. Our door lock never failed but a seal was applied to keep chlorine fumes away from it because that is believed to be the source of the failure. By the way, even though the machine is 6 years old, we found out that Maytag sells a 3 year extended warranty for about $330. Don't think anyone can beat that deal on a 6 year old washer. By the way our previous washer was a direct drive Kenmore (Whirlpool). The transmission went in little more than 5 years so there is no guarantee that the old fashion top loaders are going to be any more reliable than the water saving front loaders. Also, by the way, my parents moved to our area and we gave them the Neptune and bought the Kenmore HE3T for ourselves because of the extra capacity. The first one had so many problems, Sears finally gave up on it and replaced it. The second one needed a new bleach dispenser (trivial). The Sears repairman told me the plastic door locks are also a big problem on this model.

Reply to
Art

Well so far so good. They have stood behind the product and have offered to replace the unit with a new one. It will be installed on Thursday so we are crossing our fingers that the new one will not exhibit the same problems.

Jack

Reply to
jcanavera

It is really a shame that they release products before they are completely ready. I have one of their 3 level dishwashers. It is a great dishwasher and a great idea but the moveable middle rack bangs into the bottom rack when you have it in the low position. It doesn't happen in the store because the dishwasher has to be loaded with the weight of dishes for the problem toshow up. So far no fix yet but 99% of the time you use it in the high position so its no big deal. Still pretty dumb to hit the market that way.

Reply to
Art