Maytag gas dryer

We own a Maytag gas dryer model # LDG9606AAE Intelli - Dry purchased in 1997 that seems to dry ok in regular mode but always seems to leave cloths wet or damp in Intelli-dry mode.
Just wondering what to look for . I do have most tools that I think I would need to repair this. Just looking for some guidance.
Thanks Ivan

1997
or
would
Is it humid where you live? Have you cleaned/checked the vent recently? Is the filter clean? Screwing around with the settings may be more expensive than using the timer.
I have a Neptune series and gave up on the auto dry function. Certain times of the year it just does not work all that well.

Do you use dryer sheets in the dryer?.. If so, these will put a waxy coating over the sensors in the drum so the clothes don't make good contact with the sensors during the tumble. It only takes about three months for this to happen. The solution...wipe off the waxy coating with a little alcohol Tom.
Hi,
For sure check the sensor bars as Tom suggested....if coated, clogged with hair or lint the sensor may tell the control the wrong info and the dryer thinks the clothes are dry.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N06 Automatic dry feature sensor assembly with mounting screws.