Maytag electrical range question

Hello All,
I was looking into purchasing a new Magtag electrical range (Model MER5755QAS or MER5765QAS) and noticed that the oven's bottom coils are hidden and only has vents on the left and right side where the heat enters the oven from. According to Maytag they have designed it this way to allow for easy cleanup. I was wondering what people's thoughts who have purchased this design are on this feature. I have also seen the entire Amana line include this as well. I also have a concern about the flat top counters vs the coil burners. Since there appears to be no way of easily removing the burners, what is the life expectancy on these before they burn out? Also how much do they cost? Since they are also glass I assume that they may get scratched quickly.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is that I have a stainless steel refrigerator with a stainless steel fan and would like to match everything. The problem is that the coil ranges do not come in stainless steel.
Thanks for you time, Nick
My 2-cents worth, we bought one 6 years ago, entire stovetop was dangerously hot if one burner was in use. Maytag routinely replaced the drip pans every 6 months because the excess heat cracked & discolored the enamel. They also replaced one of the switches because of heat damage - - kept telling us there was nothing wrong with the stove. Finally gave it away and bought a Kitchen-Aid.

Many makes are going that way.

Sorry but I've never used one myself, I haven't heard any complaints though.

See my first reply.

They seem to last pretty well, at least in the area of as long as coil elements do without the possibility of failure plug-in elements are susceptible to (see the following link). There are other components used in conjuction with glass top elements which can possible fail as well though.
The surface element on my range will only work if I jiggle it. Can you tell me what's wrong? http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDG5

$60-$150 generally. The ones used on one of the above models are listed from $29.99 - $49.99 *at the moment* from one suppllier. You can see for yourself on some similar models at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?psm=MER5755

It depends on how you treat it. It will definitely need more care like constant whipping, etc.

It should be possible to purchase a Jenn Air convertible top range for which you should be able to get stainless steel, coil element cartridges. I would imagine that design of range should be available in a stainless steel finish?
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Maytag+ranges
=~~~~~~
Hi,

Many of the manufactures are now hidding the oven element under a cover....time will tell how well this will work or stand up.

The cooktop panal is lifted up to access the elements.

Without a crystal ball no one will be able to answer that. Ours are about 5 years old and we have not changed any so far.

They vary from manufactures to manufacture.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&PA Type in your model#'s and you cna check.

The glass top is a Ceran product, much tougher than glass. Even with 3 teens at home ours is still fine :)

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Ranges Some consumers opinions.
jeff.
Nick wrote:

We have the Maytag Gemini MER6872B. It doesn't have a concealed element but it has the ceramic cooktop and 2 ovens (which I might add I love and are super useful). The ceramic cooktop definately requires more care than coils, you will want to clean it more often. BUT, it is so easy to clean that it's not a big deal. Glass cookware cannot be used on them because it may scratch, aluminum pots and pans will create white marks when they are moved on the surface (which can be easily removed if you do it quickly with a ceramic cooktop cleaner, but we decided to toss our aluminum popcorn cooker so I didn't have to worry about the white marks). Oh, and you have to ensure your pots and pans aren't more than an inch larger than the burners, so you may need to check if your current cookware will be useful for this type of top.
If anyone in your family does any canning, you may need to get a special canning pot which has a base suited for the size of ceramic cooktop burners. My aunt got really unlucky (she was not using the special canning pot) and ended up having fruit boil over on her. Due to the hight heat of the fruit, it ended up "pitting" her ceramic cooktop, yikes!
Cleaning is easy and quick. At the end of each day (assuming of course the cooktop was used), I squirt on the ceramic cleaner (2 sample bottles come with the range), wipe it with a wet paper towel, then polish it up with a dry paper towel. It's fast and keeps it looking really new. Any dried on food can be taken off with a scraper blade (included with our range).
Another poster mentioned that their entire surface got hot when only one burner was on. This does NOT happen with ours. In fact, less of the surrounding area gets hot than with our old coil range (but it was very old). Also at the front their is a light that lights up to tell you the surface is hot anytime a burner or the warming centre is on.
We basically tossed any cookware that wasn't suitable for the surface, keep extra bottles of the ceramic cleaner in the kitchen, keep the scraper where it can be found and have been very happy with ours. My mom on the other hand thinks it sounds like a pain in the butt so she's sticking with coils.
--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Your input has helped me tremendously.
Nick
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:44:24 -0500, Nick

Hi,
Did you deside on a model yet?.....just wondered ;)
jeff.