Maytag Dryer won't Dry

I've got a Maytag LD676 dryer that started acting up yesterday. When first starting a load the dryer works fine, heats up and runs for 15 minutes or so and reaches the proper temperature and the gas shuts off. When the temperature begins to drop, the ignitor comes on but no flame. I cleaned the vent, but this didn't help. When I open the dryer door to stop the drum and then restart, the gas will work for the one cycle. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
Marc

Hi,

Model# appears too short.

Might be LDG76***** LDG7600AAL LDG7600AAW LDG7600ABL LDG7600ABW LDG7600AGG LDG7600AGL LDG7600AGW

A copy:

Quick Gas Dryer Tips:

Problem - Gas flame comes on first few times then quits and ignitor keeps cycling on and off but never lets the gas go. Answer ( most common ) - Replace the coils on the Gas Valve.

Problem - No flame, no ignitor glowing at all, Answer ( most common ) - Inspect igniter for small burnt spot on dark gray or black part of ignitor or check for 110 volts to ignitor when dryer should be calling for heat.

valve coil kit for newer style dryers. Includes both coils

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

As mentioned above, the most common answer to your problem is the coils. Take the two screws at the lower front of the dryer out, rotate the front away from the dryer, lean away from the dryer. You will have access to the two coils on the valve assembly. Remove the bracket that holds the coils in place by removing 2 Phillips head screws. Pull off wire connector and replace each coil. They are very standard between different brands, so you can actually install, for example, a Whirlpool pair if they are cheaper.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Thanks for the help. I know the ignitor is good, I'll try replacing the coils.

Reply to
Marc

You need to find a wiring diagram and troubleshoot it. Guessing is just going to cost money. Most dryers have a switch somewhere that senses the motor running. On some dryers it's inside the motor. Need to check it and any thermostats.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

There's also an infrared sensor. If it goes, the coils will never be energized (as a safety measure -- if the ignitor isn't hot, you don't want the gas valve to open).

Reply to
CJT

Reply to
armyturtle