maytag dryer repair

I have a Maytag front loading electric dryer model LDE7600ACW that suddenly stopped working.

When I press the start button nothing happens. When the dryer cycle dial is set to off and I hold down the start button I can hear a slight noise so I know the dryer is getting power and the start button works.

Setting the dial to other positions that should let the dryer start and pressing start does nothing.

I've opened the various panels and see no loose wires. I've also tried jumpering the start button.

I suspect that the motor is burned out but I don't know how to test for that. I suppose it could also be the front door interlock but I don't see how to access that. Is there an online resource that would give me detailed instructions on how to isolate the problem?

Reply to
Dan Espen

Hi Dan,

Don't know if these will help much but here's what I came across:

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Hi,

Haven't seen any top loading ones lately ;)

Electric dryers need 2 powers.

Proper power to the motor checked with an volt meter and no go from the motor = bad motor. Terminals 4&5 run the motor.

This should help.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks jeff (and Cindy)!

Once I got the front cover off I jumpered the thermal overload fuse and the machine started working again.

I think I'm on my way...

Reply to
Dan Espen

Check the blower wheel. I bet the "D" shaped hole has rounded out, it is slipping on the shaft and it isn't blowing enough air.

BTDT

Reply to
gfretwell

If you mean the shaft shown here:

if looks OK and feels like it's firmly on the shaft.

My wife says it stopped working after removing a garment at a time stopping it and starting it a number of times in a row. I don't know why that would cause the heat to build up, but I suppose it's possible.

I've checked for blockage along the rest of the exhaust, everything seems OK. I know I should suspect something causing heat buildup...

Anyway, the part is on order, I should know in a few days.

Thanks

Reply to
Dan Espen

Latest update:

It turned out there was no reason to worry about the blower wheel or overheating.

The thermal overload fuse was fine. The next connection downstream of the fuse is at the motor. The wire at the motor was loose in it's clip.

Looks like when I moved the wires on the fuse to test them I made the connection good. After I put everything back together the connection was bad again. It took me an hour or so with the wiring diagram to know where to look.

Reply to
Dan Espen