Maytag Dryer Repair

Our dryer started making a rumbling noise and I was wondering how old it is before I invest in repair. The model # is PYG2000AWW. I have the instruction book but didn't put the original receipt with it and I can't find a date anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi, For guessing, the book must have a published date some where on the front or back page.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I looked nothing there.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Call Maytag and give them the model number. Perhaps the model was made for a short enough time that they can narrow it down for you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Check the blower wheel. When it starts wearing out it wobbles on the "D" shaft and rumbles. It is a $15 part. Take off the front cover and the blower manifold cover. The wheel is there on the front of the motor shaft. You will probably find enough loose change to make it worth your while.

UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU START

Reply to
gfretwell

If it is an electric dryer....repair it.

I had one from 1972...it started to squeak something terrible in 1990.

I bought a new Maytag (It's still running)

Just for fun, I tore the old one apart & determined the cause of squeak (bad roller shafts)

for less than $25 (2007 $'s) fixed it & it's been running about 5 loads a week in a shop since 1990.

My mom bought a dryer (Matytag) when I was born, I replaced the heating element when I was 13, she got rid of it when I was 35 (she just wanted a new one)

I'm sure it's still running somewhere.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Good idea thanks. Called them and they said it was made in 1997.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Your right maybe I should check it out. From what I gather the front cover screws are accessible by opening the top.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

It's Gas but I'll take a look anyway.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Most instruction manuals don't have dates, and even before the copyright law was changed, some books were published without dates.

Now that the law has been changed, I expect even more books won't have dates. Now copyrights expire some time after the author dies, which strikes me as a ridiculous system, because unless the guy is very famous, how am I supposed to know when he died?

Reply to
mm

So it's practically brand new.

Reply to
mm

You're talking about books. This discussion is about instruction manuals. Two totally different things. Instruction manuals may have a revision date, but that's for the company's benefit, not for copyright purposes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I covered them in my first clause. The rest talks about other things that don't have dates.

Most of the manuals I have seen have no dates. I think they do that on purpose so people won't know how old the design was for something they just bought. If you buy something in 2007, you don't want to see a

2004 date on the manual. And back in 2004, even if it was new then, and even though some other department might be working on a new model, the people in charge of selling what is already made are willing to sell the same thing forever if that is what they have to do, and that's why I think they omit the date. But that's just an educated guess.

Right.

Reply to
mm

Actually not. Maytag does not guarantee parts availability beyond 10 years. Consumer Reports has found bargain kenmore dryers that will probably out perform the Maytag. We had a Maytag of his vintage and replaced it when it started making roller noise. The new Kenmore does a much better job at getting wrinkles out. Both were gas dryers.

Reply to
Art

That's pretty much only an issue when the owner can't get the parts.

But the OP already has a Maytag. It's cheaper and better and better for the environment to put a few new parts in than to buy a whole new machine, even if the new machine lasts longer than this one would. Because if this one will last 5, or 3, or even 1 year longer after it is repaired, wehn a new one is bought it will be that much later and it will wear out that much later.

When the time comes that he needs a new machine, he can decide then what brand to buy.

Reply to
mm

Took front cover off, attempted to access the back to check the drum rollers removed the six screws on the rap around cover only to find it welded to the frame. Looks like the welds could be drilled out. The installers used some kind of pipe compound that I wasn't able to loosen the gas connection. I manually turned the drum and it sounded quiet to me then I spun the blower blade (plastic), which duplicated the rumble noise, and observed the blade was loose on the motor shaft. After removing the blade it was apparent the flat was worn off. I'll report on the blade availability and price later.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

As gfretwell said previously it was the blower wheel (blade) but the price I paid was $26.95, maybe I should have shopped around but was glad to get it over and done with. Still saved a bunch doing it myself. I appreciate everyone's input.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Good for you. A service call would have been $100 or so more. Chances are, the dryer will last many more trouble free years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My first house (1982) came with a dryer. The previous owner said it was there when HE bought the house. I repaired it by replacing the belt and a couple of drum bearings. I hear the thing is still working fine.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Where did you get it? I"d be happy to get something like this anywhere.

Reply to
mm