Maytag Dryer not turning off by itself, also making noises

I bought a house that came with a Maytag LD8200 Automatic Gas Dryer. The house is 10 years old so I'm assuming the dryer is too.

The first time I used the dryer, I set the knob to "Auto Dry Regular Fabrics" at the "less dry" mark, set the temperature to regular and pushed start.

The dryer started, though every 30 seconds to a minute there is a loud clack noise coming from the back right side of dryer (kind of near the gas line hookup). I originally thought this was a pants button or something hitting the side, but I ran a load of bedsheets and got the same noise. It seems to come in pairs, there will be a clack and then a kind of humming noise and then a louder clack and the humming noise will stop. My last dryer was electric. Is this something gas dryers when they turn on and off the gas?

In addition the dryer knob never turns from where I set it and the dryer never turns off. I thought maybe I didn't give it enough time so I ran a load for about an hour. It still didn't turn off and the clothes were completely dry. There is no option for timed drying, only timed "Air Fluff" which doesn't use heat. I haven't tried that.

I didn't notice any lint in the dryer and the lint screen was clean and I cleaned it after every use.

Anyone know what's wrong with the dryer?

Reply to
Morac

For starters, its got a bad timer.

Reply to
CBHvac

The noises you hear are normal for a gas dryer, just the gas valve operating.

Can you try your "timed air fluff" setting, and see if the timer advances? If so, chances are it's a problem with one of your thermostats. There is an excellent description of how the auto dry works on your unit at

Let us know how it goes on "Air Fluff", and we'll take it from there.

Reply to
Mad Mac

That is not the model number. It may be more like LDG8200_ _ _

You can find tips for locating the model number plate on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked at the bottom of the page.

How about the dryer's vent (all the way to the outdoors!)?

A problem in a dryer's venting can cause problems on the 'auto' setting. You can read about proper dryer venting at the following link:

How long can my dryer vent be?

... or elsewhere, at least not likely in the timer itself.

And also at

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com