Maytag dishwasher problem

Hi,

during the wash cycle and that has

Remove the spray arm and covers...check around the wash impellor and screens....often see stuff caught there and the macerator blade or wash impellor hits it and makes noises.

It doesn't have any.

Motor, slipping/loose/stripped seal ( where the wash impellor screws onto ) have been common noise makers....something in the drain pump is another.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I have a 3 level Maytag model MDB8600AWW serial # 14194935CA.

It was making a not to noisy extra grinding sound intermittently during the wash cycle and that has now stopped and I hear a not very loud sound like a belt slipping though I don't believe this thing has any belts. I've opened the door several times during the wash cycle and it sure looks like everything is working though it is possible that the top sprayer is not getting as much water as it should based on how much I see draining from it after I peek it. All arms change position each time I peek in so they are moving.

Any suggestions on what is wrong. The sound seems to be coming from underneath the unit. This is pretty depressing since it is only a couple of years old and I bought it to replace an unreliable Asko dishwasher that broke 4 times in 6 years.

Reply to
Art

All parts have 2 year warranty ( wash motor is 5 years )....might be best to take advantage of this if the d/w is still under the 2 years.

Nothing caught in it...nothing found in it...certainly seems like a part failure if the noise is comming from the wash motor area!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thank you for your help. I took it apart down to the "grinder" blade. Did not see anything unusual. I cleaned out what I found along the way and reassembled. Unfortunately no change. Would you suggest I call in a pro or wait till it dies. It is about 2 years old.

Reply to
Art

Turns out I have 30 days to go on the parts warranty plus Maytag had promised me an extra year labor in an email when I had some initial issues with the dishwasher. Guess I will give them a call. Will let you know what it turns out to be.

Reply to
Art

Hi,

No kidding....I thought it would be -automatic- that you get the extra year as soon as they offer it....what is someone going to say?...."no thankx for the extra year warranty"!!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Here is a nasty Maytag story. When we first bought the dishwasher it had several issues and I sent Maytag an email complaining about it. It finally got fixed but meanwhile they sent me an email offering an extra year warranty. Didn't say what to do to get it and since the dishwasher was working I saw no need to respond at the time. So with this break down in month 23 I just have the parts warranty and Maytag charges about $130 to come out. So I email them with all the old emails and ask for that extra year they offered. Their response...... I should have asked for it within

30 days of their email. What jackasses. There goes another Maytag customer. I am glad they got screwed by that Neptune fromt loader lawsuit. I have a Neptune front loader and no big issues with it but they deserve to lose some bucks for screwing people.

Reply to
Art

straight out

Hi,

Yes.

Should be a nice quiet wax motor, no solenoid. Drain pump can be a bit noisy.

Tell them this one is worse than the origianl....we put 3 in one d/w before we had a good runner....we brought this up at local Maytag school and our repair rep told us if the second motor isn't much better order another one.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

So the lonely Maytag guys comes out today. He listens and gets a new motor from the truck. He takes the dishwasher apart to the point I had it apart. I did not touch the motor and was surprised when I found out that all you had to do was lift it out. Amazing that they don't leak. Anyway he replaces the motor, reassembles and it makes the same noise. He says its normal. I said it is making the same grinding noise. He turns it off and drains it and starts it up again. This time it is ok. He then admits that he did hear the extra noise the last time but now it is ok. He thinks maybe the water lubed something. LOL. I guess this will remain a mystery. Don't see how water could have lubed a new motor which is below the water seal except for the shaft sticking up.

Reply to
Art

I've started and stopped the dishwasher several times. Still getting the noise sometimes though it is not as bad. Ever see a bad motor straight out of the box? I looked at the grinder knife yesterday and did not notice it to be bent or anything. The only thing else I can think of is a noisy selenoid on the soap dispenser. We had that with an Asko but it was a tremendous buzz. Also why would it be improved by replacing the motor. Maybe the knife hole has gotten enlarged and the ginder is making the noise but the new shaft has lessened the effect. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Art

Thanks.

Reply to
Art

New motor seems to have quieted down. My quess is that it wasn't seated perfectly when installed and the knife perhaps scraped the strainer or something. Anyway it seems to be reasonably quiet. I am planning on writing Maytag a letter asking for my $129.95 back since I was promised an extra year of labor. I will let you guys know what they say.

Reply to
Art