Maytag/Amana bottom freezer noise

I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if you push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer light switch on this model.

Thanks.

Reply to
Art

Probably not the switch. You may have some debris in a fan that turns off when the door opens.

Reply to
Pat

More research indicates that the light switch turns on the ice maker when the drawer is closed. The noise appears related to the ice maker which seems to have failed.

Reply to
Art

OK - here's the question -

Does the switch turn the ice machine on when the drawer is closed or does the switch turn the ice machine off when the drawer is open?

I vote for "off when open" since it's essentially a safety feature.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Other way around. Amana built by Maytag.

Amana Bought By Maytag

Newton, IA Maytag, the Newton, IA-based appliance manufacturer that also serves as the parent company of Jenn-Air, has acquired the major appliance and commercial microwave oven businesses of Amana Appliances, the company announced.

Maytag, which purchased the Amana assets from Goodman Global Holdings Co., Inc., paid $325 million, according to published reports. The acquisition, which is subject to regulatory approval, is expected to be finalized in the near future. Amana, based in Amana, IA, employs some

400 workers at three manufacturing facilities.
Reply to
Claude Hopper

You are talking more recent history than my refrigerator. Amana was building almost all brand bottom freezer models before Maytag took them over. Now of course Whirlpool owns all.

Reply to
Art

As it turns out, turning off the ice maker for several days fixed the problem. Perhaps it was jammed ice but no jammed ice was visible.

Reply to
Art

I am experiencing this exact problem. What is the solution??

Reply to
lendepas

Thank you ART .This is exactly the problem. Removed a piece of stuck ice and problem fixed

Reply to
lendepas

replying to Art, Tom wrote: Thanks, Art! I thought the freezer was overpacked during the holidays, but it was the ice. The metal sensor was caught in place.

Reply to
Tom