Maytag A512 washing machine drum removal

Before I tear something up, how do I remove the drum from my Maytag washing machine? The problem is that the belt slips like crazy on the spin cycle and the drum is very hard to turn. I suspect there may be something caught between the inner and outer drums but I don't see how to remove the drum. I got the agitator off and it looks like a special tool is required to remove the drum.

Thanks,

Dale.

Reply to
Dale

Hi,

The belt should slip during the spin mode. Clothing often gets caught just under the tub/tank cover....if the inner wash basket must be removed, this will get you there....and yes there is a special spanner wrench tool.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks Jeff, this looks like it'll help me figure out how to get in there.

There is so much resistance on the spin cycle that is spins at about 1 revolution every two or three seconds. I tilted the unit up and I could easily rotate the big pully on the bottom in the agitate direction, but met with considerable resistance in the spin direction.

I assume by removing the inner drum the problem will present itself. I don't see how any garments could get between the two drums, but I suppose that's something to check.

Any thoughts > Dale wrote:

Reply to
Dale

Hi,

that's

For sure! Something small or light can float on the top of the water and accidentally get thrown up and over the edge of the wash basket when the washer goes into spin/drain.

Seizing tub bearing.

the agitate

Should be harder to turn in the spin direction, but not overly struggling to turn. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

that's

in the agitate

Reply to