(Maybe) OT: Adjustable height desk

AT this site

and many other sites, there are examples of adjustable height desks. I am DESPERATE to find a way to get my a$$ out of computer chair. Have even pla yed around with mickey-mouse solutions like putting the computer (desktop) up on a milk crate...but that's pretty silly in terms of getting it back do wn.

Seems like an adjustable would be the way to go. I could work standing for 'n' period, then sit down, then back up -- in theory.

The good adjustables are pricey -- enough so that I need to get a lot of in put before deciding.

So if any AHR's have used these, would you share your experience?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have an adjustable hospital bed and adjustable height table to go with it that I use for one of my laptops when I'm in the bed. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OK, thanks, but I don't have a laptop; only use a desktop, so I need an adjustable desk for my office.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Well heck, I can put one of my smaller desktops on the adjustable table and use it, I've actually been tempted to do so. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Years ago, I had a factory job that was giving my bad back trouble. We had assembly line, maybe

3 feet off the floor. I'd perch on the high swivel chair for a while, stand for a while, and then get back on the high swivel chair.

. Christ>> I have an adjustable hospital bed and adjustable height table to go with >>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you looking for suggestions for a commercial item or DIY? What height range do you want? What size?

If commercial and smallish, here is something for $60...

There is really no reason why you should have to elevate the computer (the tower),just the keyboard and monitor; the tower can stay on the floor or wherever as long as the mess of cords is long enough too accomodate the upward movement.

I've purchased and made assorted vertical height adjustable things. The commercial ones were hydraulic; the home made, slip fit (as is the one in the link above).

If you can unwrap your head from the word "desk" there are all sorta of adjustable things...mic/AV stands...lecturns...laptop stands/desks. Here's a link to lecturns that could work well...

dadiOH

Higgy,

Put your laptop on a lectern.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I'd first go for an adjustable swing-arm mount for the monitor. Attach it to the wall, then anytime you want to adjust the monitor height it would only take one hand to push it to the height and position you want. Cost - about a hundred bucks.

The computer tower can stay on the floor, unless you frequently have to access the CD/DVD drive. If that's the case, it can be set on its own small stand, about knee high, which will make it easy to access whether you're standing or sitting. Cost - nothing, if you have something on hand that'll do, or up to about forty-fifty bucks if you want something nice.

Now that it's down to just needing adjustable space to hold the keyboard and mouse, an adjustable-height laptop table will fit the bill. Cost - thirty to fifty bucks. Since it'll only have the keyboard and mouse on it, there'll still be ample room for paperwork as well. Since it will have so little weight on it, you'll be able to quickly and easily change the height at whim.

I'd also pick up a wireless keyboard and mouse, to increase your mobility. Don't be tethered to the tower when you don't have to be. Cost - thirty to one hundred bucks, depending on how fancy of a keyboard and mouse you desire.

If there's stuff that needs to be stored on a desk, you could put a smaller desk or table within reach of your workstation that holds everything else that you occasionally need.

All in all, for about two hundred bucks you could create a flexible workspace that would give you more room and more options.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I really don't like most wireless keyboards, but the rest of your advice is good. Keyboard extension cords, both PS/2 and USB, are available however. For a mouse, I like the Logitech Performance Mouse MX but there are plenty of other good options available as well.

I also do have my monitor mounted on an adjustable stand (not wall mount, but that would accomplish the same thing), it's the only way to fly.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Search "ergotron". They clamp onto existing surfaces. The monitor adjusts independently from the keyboard. They have a counter balance spring inside so you move them up and down with one hand. And as these things go they're pretty cheap.

Reply to
jamesgang

Guys, I've repeated several times that I don't HAVE a laptop. If I did, there would be no prob. I have only a desktop.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

***James and you others have come up with envelope-busting suggestions! My head is no longer wrapped around the word "desk"!

At ergotron's Web site they have this Oscar-winning movie:

A whole new world to explore! I just hope these gadgets can handle a older (4 years) Dell monitor with an approx 6x10 base.

Huge thanks!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Sounds like a program, Nate! And for a reasonable budget. As to the swing-arm mount, I'd have to anchor it to a stud, because the weight of the monitor might be too much for the wall even if it is old-style lathe & plaster.

ahr experience has definitely me on the right path!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

So? Is there some reason you can't put the monitor and keyboard on a lecturn ot other smallish gizmo and leave the desktop PC *tower* on the floor or wherever you have it?

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks, but the point is, I want to be able to work alternatively sitting and standing. A lectern would oblige me to stand all the time. (The tower is on the floor and stays there.)

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Just a question to satisfy my idle curiosity. Have you looked at any sit/stand chairs or the like? A bit of propaganda/commentary here:

I work outside so don't have any use for such things.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Had you looked at the link I provided previously, you might have noticed that the lectern stand is - ready? - ADJUSTABLE. Continuouly adjustable between 30 and 44 inches.

There are none so blind as those who will not see...

Reply to
dadiOH

Now, now... don't pick on me in my most vulnerable incarnation..

I DID take the "lectern" to be immovable. But I have, repeatedly, looked at what I'm calling generically "movable height desks" and these have included "lecterns".

To the kind soul who gave a link to "sit/stand" chairs, yes, I've been there as well. The difficulty -- unless this is really my slow Saturday -- is that the MONITOR has to be accessible at all times.

So as of now I think the swing-arm raise-lower monitor MIGHT be the answer.

But this has been going on so long, and I get so confused...

Thanks everybody.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson