Maybe OT 3D TV

?I saw a demo of a Samsung set at a store tonight. I don't think 3D is quite ready for prime time.

The set that was playing showed a rock concert. They had glasses for you to use to see the 3D picture. First glance was a bit strange. Rather than looking at a screen, it was as if you were peering into a box. The picture definitely had depth, but it did not seem to be real life size. As I said, it was like looking into a box and the scenes were layered to a front, center, rear and then the back of the box.

As you can imagine, a rock musician is moving fast. The movement seemed choppy, not smooth. The whole thing reminded me of a cartoonish video game on an old 8088 computer. OR like looking at the View Master of years gone by.

The price keep dropping, but it would have to get down below a regular set for me to buy one. IMO, it is still a novelty, not the future of TV. At least not yet. I'll take another peek in a couple of years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, I am waiting for sets which do not require wearing 3D glasses. According to an expert review I read, at preset Samsung was best in current 3D sets. Next was Sony, Panasonic was last.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

From what ive read the best 3d is DLP, followed by Plasma then Lcd. Different brands perform differently but Panasonic Plasma was the best I could find and didnt have the choppyness. DLP was a dim picture and Lcd I could not tolerate from the choppy picture. And then the demos always look good, but in real life, who knows what you will get.

Reply to
ransley

yep about 12% of the US population has a lazy eye, making 3D worthless......

hologram tv will be along in a few years.:)

Reply to
hallerb

I have more desire for tertiary syphilis than I do 3-D TV. YMMV.

Reply to
dadiOH

They did a flyover of what they thought was "Harrys House", it showed a crazy guy in a bed sheet singing "Benny Hill will save Me, I saved his Wife"

Reply to
ransley

Yes, and Benny Hill has been on Tv lately, funny guy.

Reply to
ransley

We see everyday in 3D. The stuff I have seen for 3D TV involved extended exaggerations and might be good for games. I'll keep 2D. 2D makes movies unique and gives the producer the advantage of showing his perspective.

Reply to
zek

I saw two sets being demo'd at Costco. And I agree with Smitty. They looked good to me. But a lot could depend on what it is that you are looking at. The ones I saw were running demos that went through a variety of sources, like animated kids videos, scrolling panorama, etc. The other part of the equation of course is what 3D sources are available that one would actually watch. AFAIK, not enough content yet to make it viable for me..... Plus, you have to buy not only a new TV, but probably a player too, until broadcast stuff is available

Reply to
trader4

They have to figure out a new way to attract customers, 3d today, 4mp screens tomorrow, and 8 mp 3d in 4-10 years, they neeeeed your money or sales will crap. But if a new set is needed and no gaming will be done with stagnant bars than PLasma is the way to go and panasonic Plasma is best for 3d . The best 3d is DLP but the picture is not the same. For a new needed set, upgrade .

Reply to
ransley

? wrote

Perhaps I have higher expectations. I'll try looking at another demo sometime, but for now, a View Master is a better buy for 3D.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Amazing. I had one of those getting on for sixty years ago!!!

Reply to
harry

r.- Hide quoted text -

I want one like the Star Wars one. Heh Heh!

Reply to
harry

I've seen them recently, but they're not nearly as well built as I remember from 30 years ago, plus you can see the mechanism operating when you look through the lenses, which I don't recall with the one that I had as a kid (I'm talking about the 'classic' red ones, though; I don't remember ever seeing a blue one like in the posted link before)

Etch-a-sketch toys seem to be similarly less well-built than I remember, too.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson