Maximum Distance of Toilet from Vertical Stack?

Hello Group,

I'm working for a friend on a gut job rehab, and his architect seems inclined to provide plans with no mechanical details and no place to put waste stacks.

In the interest of planning the job, I'm wondering, Can a Toilet, (as part of a bath, including shower and lavatory, or half bath including only lavatory), be attached to a Horizontal branch of a waste stack? I've only ever seen them attached to the vertical sections of the stack. If so, what restrictions are there on the length of the Horizontal branch.

I've been reading the 2006 National Plumbing Code, and I can't seem to find the answer in there.

Incidently, I found the National code on the web at this location:

Thanks for any information you can provide:

Best, John

Reply to
Johnny V

My understanding is that they are fine on a horizontal branch of appropriate size, as long as you have a vent take off sufficiently close to the closet bend.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I agree with Wayne.

You need to have a vent within 3 feet of the WC (may be less where you are). and the other fixtures all need to tie into the vent. They the actual sewage can flow in graded pipes wherever it needs to go. My downstairs half bath and washer discharge into the same 4" pipe and run a good 20-25 feet, take a

45 degree to the floor before they enter the sewer under the basement floor.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt