Maximum cost to paint a house

Hi all, I am starting to get quotes to paint my house. It is a large

2-story 100-year-old poplar-sided house in the midwest. Paint is in bad shape - lots of scraping, caulking, etc. Plus there's a small amount of rotten wood to replace. And the garage is 3-car, 2 stories, but in much better condition because it's only 10 years old.

The first quote (repair, prime, paint) I got seemed high - $28,000.

What's the most you've ever paid to have your house painted ?

Reply to
billman

This feels like a bingo quiz.

$7,200.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

That sounds pretty darned high - likely due o the age of the siding, and it's ability to absorb the paint. You might consider re-siding it instead - you could side and do windows for less than that amount, surely.

Reply to
Sir Topham Hatt

If I remember correctly the paint job on the Winchester House done on this old house was about $50,000.

Here is a link to a description of the project but they do not have a price tag in the article.

Roland

Reply to
Joe Doe

My house? Never paid anything.

OTOH, my son was just quoted $26,000 to do a portion of his house. Needs work similar to what you describe and it is over 200 years old. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How many windows and doors do you have? Count them all. Are the windows multi-paned?

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

My folks have a century home built in 1880 that they purchased in

1999. Pa>
Reply to
Frank

On 31 Jul 2003 12:49:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Frank) scribbled this interesting note:

It is true that most of the expense in painting the exterior of houses is the cost of labor. Even brick veneer ranch style homes with only facia and soffit usually cost between $2,000 to $5,000 depending on the various conditions you find on each particular job...and that is only using ten to twenty gallons of good grade exterior latex paint with appropriate prep work.

When I paint my house this fall it will take me a weekend to scrape, prep, prime, and paint with two coats everything I need to paint. The cost will be minimal...only the cost of materials...less than around $150.00 (as I will be going back with the same color.) The time will be mine to spend. If I farmed out the job I would expect to spend at least 10 times that amount.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

What are they using, pure gold leaf? Hell, I could build a new house for that kind of money. The new house would be smaller than yours, but that is just plain robbery. It sounds like they don't want the job. I used to do the same thing when I was in business. If I didn't want the job, I'd just bid real high.

Reply to
Ron

I would drive all night from here in Alabama to paint it for $25000!!!

Gary

Reply to
GARY

If $28k only "seemed" high, and you didn't break out laughing, I suggest you get a regular contractor to handle all your building needs. They will charge you an extra 15%, and probably add on 15% of all sub work, but you will still come out of it ahead of what you are getting quoted. The contractor will handle all the details, attain all permits, bonds, and legal documents. They will handle payroll, accounting, and state and federal taxes.

It is obvious you know nothing about the work being done, a fair price, or how to handle subcontractors.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Let's see, one sample, 2 years ago:

10 year old house, smooth-side out cedar, with lots of mill glaze.. Grind all paint off the house, primer, and 2 coats of Benjamin Moore white. House is 100 feet long, 36 feet deep, 2 (in places 3) stories the entire length. Total cost: $9600

Reply to
no1herenow

I recently had two houses painted. One is 2800sf, the other 1650. Single story, stucco with wood trim. Included all wrought iron work, scraping, puttying and cleanup. $3200 and I bought the paint. I think it was too much, but I paid him anyway. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Hey, I dont care where you live. I will drive there and do the job for you for less........

How about $24,500. Do we got a deal?

When should I start the work?

The Worlds Best Handyman

Reply to
handyman

Hi, I started this thang. I will get another estimate. Thanks for all the feedback. The sucker is 2 tall stories (11 foot ceilings), and has c. 26 windows and 2 doors on the house, and two windows, a human door, and 3 car doors on the garage. Siding is the original poplar. Was painted in 1993. A bit of rot in clapboard and fascia, not a lot though.

I've thought about doing it meself except for the fear of heights, the highest point that needs painted at the tippy-top is almost 40 feet in the air. All the fascia is at a height of 25 feet off the ground. I think about the movie vertigo when I get that up.

Reply to
billman