Maximum cost to paint a house

Hi all, I am starting to get quotes to paint my house. It is a large 2-story 100-year-old poplar-sided house in the midwest. Paint is in bad shape - lots of scraping, caulking, etc. Plus there's a small amount of rotten wood to replace. And the garage is 3-car, 2 stories, but in much better condition because it's only 10 years old.
The first quote (repair, prime, paint) I got seemed high - $28,000.
What's the most you've ever paid to have your house painted ?
billman wrote:

This feels like a bingo quiz.
$7,200.
That sounds pretty darned high - likely due o the age of the siding, and it's ability to absorb the paint. You might consider re-siding it instead - you could side and do windows for less than that amount, surely.

tippcity snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (billman) wrote:

If I remember correctly the paint job on the Winchester House done on this old house was about $50,000.
Here is a link to a description of the project but they do not have a price tag in the article.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvprograms/houseproject/article/0,16516,261878-386353,00.html
Roland

My house? Never paid anything.
OTOH, my son was just quoted $26,000 to do a portion of his house. Needs work similar to what you describe and it is over 200 years old. Ed
On 30 Jul 2003 14:54:59 -0700, tippcity snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (billman) wrote:

How many windows and doors do you have? Count them all. Are the windows multi-paned?
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
My folks have a century home built in 1880 that they purchased in 1999. Paint was in pretty bad shape but the original wood siding (probably pine or spurce) was in good shape, with no rot. A friend and I repainted the house for just the cost of the paint & primer (less than $1,000). The house is 1 3/4 storey 3 bdrm and 1600 sq ft so it took a while, as there was lots of prep work - sanding, scraping and even some wire brushing. The house had not been painted in at least 50 yrs was our estimate. It was owned by the same person, and old lady from the 1930's until 1989, and my folks were the 3rd owners since that time. The old lady did nothing to renovate in all the time she was there. Unbelievable.
Point is, it shouldn't cost you $28,000 to paint your house by any means. I had never painted a house before and had to learn as I went, but it was a good experience and one I will treasure. We changed the house from white with blue trim to pale victorian yellow with white trim, and even people driving by stopped to tell us how nice it looked. Very rewarding.
(billman) wrote:

On 31 Jul 2003 12:49:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Frank) scribbled this interesting note:

<snip>
It is true that most of the expense in painting the exterior of houses is the cost of labor. Even brick veneer ranch style homes with only facia and soffit usually cost between $2,000 to $5,000 depending on the various conditions you find on each particular job...and that is only using ten to twenty gallons of good grade exterior latex paint with appropriate prep work.
When I paint my house this fall it will take me a weekend to scrape, prep, prime, and paint with two coats everything I need to paint. The cost will be minimal...only the cost of materials...less than around $150.00 (as I will be going back with the same color.) The time will be mine to spend. If I farmed out the job I would expect to spend at least 10 times that amount.
-- John Willis
What are they using, pure gold leaf? Hell, I could build a new house for that kind of money. The new house would be smaller than yours, but that is just plain robbery. It sounds like they don't want the job. I used to do the same thing when I was in business. If I didn't want the job, I'd just bid real high.
On 30 Jul 2003 14:54:59 -0700, tippcity snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (billman) wrote:

If $28k only "seemed" high, and you didn't break out laughing, I suggest you get a regular contractor to handle all your building needs. They will charge you an extra 15%, and probably add on 15% of all sub work, but you will still come out of it ahead of what you are getting quoted. The contractor will handle all the details, attain all permits, bonds, and legal documents. They will handle payroll, accounting, and state and federal taxes.
It is obvious you know nothing about the work being done, a fair price, or how to handle subcontractors.
Steve
(billman)

I recently had two houses painted. One is 2800sf, the other 1650. Single story, stucco with wood trim. Included all wrought iron work, scraping, puttying and cleanup. $3200 and I bought the paint. I think it was too much, but I paid him anyway. ;-)
Steve
I would drive all night from here in Alabama to paint it for $25000!!!
Gary
Hi, I started this thang. I will get another estimate. Thanks for all the feedback. The sucker is 2 tall stories (11 foot ceilings), and has c. 26 windows and 2 doors on the house, and two windows, a human door, and 3 car doors on the garage. Siding is the original poplar. Was painted in 1993. A bit of rot in clapboard and fascia, not a lot though.
I've thought about doing it meself except for the fear of heights, the highest point that needs painted at the tippy-top is almost 40 feet in the air. All the fascia is at a height of 25 feet off the ground. I think about the movie vertigo when I get that up.
Let's see, one sample, 2 years ago: 10 year old house, smooth-side out cedar, with lots of mill glaze.. Grind all paint off the house, primer, and 2 coats of Benjamin Moore white. House is 100 feet long, 36 feet deep, 2 (in places 3) stories the entire length. Total cost: $9600
tippcity snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (billman) wrote in message

On 30 Jul 2003 14:54:59 -0700, tippcity snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (billman) wrote:

Hey, I dont care where you live. I will drive there and do the job for you for less........
How about $24,500. Do we got a deal?
When should I start the work?
The Worlds Best Handyman