Max distance between electrical outlets, is the 6 foot rule still valid?

Is there a minimum or maximum distance that must be be between power > outlets that are on the same wall, or a min/max distance a power > outlet must be from a doorway? I tried looking this info up, but > couldn't find it. > > Thanks, > Rob

NEC section 210.52(A)(1) (2002 edition) gives the minimum requirements for outlets in the living areas of a home: "Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet." paragraph (2) defines a wall as any unbroken space 2 ft or more in width, including space measured around corners, and free-standing counters and bars, but excluding sliding panels. This is the minimum requirement. I have never heard a complaint about having too many outlets.

There is no minimum spacing. There is also no minimum distance from a doorway. Use good judgment to avoid a tripping hazard or damage to cords and equipment.

Reply to
andy everett

Yes. In the USA, at least. And I believe that the CEC (Canada) has the same rule.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, but if you doing stuff in the Kitchen of course it's different.

Reply to
scott21230

Better to add some extras and outlets by doors for sweepers is a PLUS. remember the code is miniumum for safety, convenience requires more

Reply to
hallerb

imho:

Actually it's 6 feet between any point on a wall and an outlet. So the max between outlets can be 12 feet. Since you can't go any further than 6 feet before hitting an outlet.

Just a quick reply, always follow the electrical codes.

tom @

Tom The Great
Reply to
the sagacious dolt