Mattress frames

After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come to make a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed likely from Costco.
The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat, which suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at least one website claimed otherwise.
Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for use with a memory foam mattress?

Not I. But just as a data point. We got the memory foam set & the springs that came with it are very much like a regular set of bed springs.
And BTW-- I love the mattress. We've had ours for 4-5 years now.
It's been 20 since we had the waterbed & every once in a while, on a cold winter night, I miss it just a tiny bit. But the memory foam is the most comfortable I've ever experienced. [and my bones and muscles are older now than they were for the others.<g>]
Jim
On 09/06/2011 07:13 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The Costco systems I'm looking at would likely be considered the upper assembly. Meant to be placed on existing box springs or platforms.
Hence my curiosity. Waterbed frames usually consist of a plywood or particle board base. Suggests to me that should provide ample support.

Measure it. Most waterbeds are not standard materess sizes.
On 9/6/2011 8:40 PM, Jim wrote:

Try it and see if your back likes it. If not, you can always go back and modify it later- you won't hurt the mattress with a month of solid-surface use. Sams and real bedding stores sell low-profile box springs for the extra-thick mattresses, for people that don't like climbing a ladder into bed at night. What a box spring does is allow entire mattress to flex a little, which does matter for larger folks like me. I can tell the difference between standard mattress on box springs, and mattress on plywood.
--
aem sends....

I believe most water beds are longs. I have not seen long queens and kings. Only full and twin.

Avoid Temprapedic brand. Their warranty is worthless. We found that out too late. WW

Why don't you tell us the story - please.
I have heard the same thing about the sleep number bed. Bob-tx
On 9/6/2011 5:11 AM, Jim wrote:

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to relate my experience with water beds for those who have not used one. My message is: DON'T! It ruined my last marriage. We got a water bed and we just started drifting apart.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
On 09/06/2011 10:56 AM, Robert Allison wrote:

Got mine after i regained my freedom. Enjoyed the comfort for many years.
New Braunfels, eh? Came close to buying a place on Twinwood not long ago.
Great community.