materials to re-grade soil around foundation

I have had some leaking in my basement and want to re-grade the soil around my house...Currently, it is just grass that slopes toward my foundation.
I have heard that simply using limestone screenings will do the trick... Is this correct or do I need a base of sand and then screenings?
How wide should I make the elevation away from the house?
Thanks
Konyoman wrote:

I would guess that comment about sand and limestone was based on the assumption that you were going to place a drain there.
Assuming you are re-grading to proved a proper surface drainage away from the foundation of your home, then I suggest a high clay type soil would be best.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit