Matching Ceiling White (paint)

Page 2 of 2

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I had *exactly* the same problem last year, matching a small repaired section of a 15 year old 25' x 25' cathedral ceiling. After 2 attempts at "eye-balling" with traditional prepared sample cards, I "bit the bullet" and cut out a 2" patch of the drywall paper, from an inconspicuous spot. I took this to HD, and they made up one of their 8 oz. samples (for a whopping $2.94), that matched perfectly, and was more than enough to cover the 2' x 6' area I needed to cover.
I glued the patch back in place using Elmer's glue and spackle, and you have to look hard to find it.
--reed
PS I used a padded 2x4 to lean up against the patch, to hold it flat, while the glue dried.
Reed wrote:

Just saw your post re plaster over lath.. Oh well, good luck.

Your efforts are appreciated and not wasted.
With a spot of luck, I may be able to get close matches (1 at a time) with craft/toy paints, then take a newly created match-sample to the HD near here for an 8 oz thing. I didn't know HD offered that service, thought I'd hafta get a full gallon (or similar) mix- matched. For $2.94 it'd be a damned good deal!
Thanks, Will

In my experience you can also cut out a square of plaster (down to the lathe) using something like a rotozip. Then you can use Durabond setting joint compount or equivalent to set it back in place and fill gaps after matching. Works pretty well for me...
But in general, matching "whites" seems to be much harder for both eyes and machines than matching solids. The eye seems to be more sensitive to differences in whites and whites can be taken in all directions (e.g. softs vs colds).