master bath sink gurgle

New house, just built. Master bath vanity has two sinks - both drain fine, but the left one gurgles after it is used sometimes (or maybe only sometimes I notice it). It will give off a "glug" noise every

5-10 seconds, pretty evenly spaced, for about 5-10 minutes after the faucet is turned off. The right sink is perfectly fine. Any ideas?
Reply to
Matt

Check the configuration of the drains underneath.

Unlikely but maybe the gurgler P-trap feeds into the good P-trap.

Maybe the drain on the gurgler is too flat.

If you could post a picture of the drain configuration you will get better advice.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

It sounds like the vent is not working properly for that sink.

I was just watching a episode of Ask This Old House where they were adding a utility sink, plumbing the drain into the same drain that the washer drained into.

Rich Trethewey pointed out that the easy solution was to just tap into the existing drain with a T, but that would essentially eliminate the vent from one or the other fixture.

Instead, he installed a double Y fitting so that both drains entered the pipe at the same level and kept the venting intact.See here:

DerbyDad03

Not venting properly. Look at the pipe under the sink to see if has one of those "inside" vent caps. Sometimes those get stuck or break. Otherwise call the plumber that did the house and tell him to fix it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

In my former house, it started the death gurgle when the main sewer line under the basement floor was plugged. It started gurgling long before it became sufficiently blocked to make the cloths washer, in the basement, backup water from the floor drain.

BTW, the under counter "air admittance valves" are just plain junk. I have 3 of them, one on each bathroom vanity and one in the kitchen. Two out of 3 now have plastic bags covering them to prevent under counter stink. I figure the worst thing that could happen is gurgling or possibly suck the water out of the trap. That can't be any worse than the present stink. These valves are only 1

1/2 years old. I figure, if I get ambitious, I'll move the air admittance valve, to a vented outside box, on the outside wall.
Reply to
Art Todesco

Here's a pic from when the house was under construction.

Both the left and right sinks share a common drain and vent. Left sink gurgles, right sink doesn't. Any other ideas? Doesn't seem like it could be vent-related if only one sink has the problem. Thanks again.

Reply to
Matt

odd indeed. Have you taken the P-traps apart to clean them?

Tried a hand snake?

Do the sinks have an overflow hole in them?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I can't see the images at work, but for now I'll take your word for it that it's not vent related.

Remove the pop-up from the gurling sink and see if that helps.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Please upload the gurgle sound to YouTube. We can't hear the gurgle from here. There are quite a few gurgle experts in this group.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

They look ok. Both are well inside the range for a 2" pipe. Is that a wet or dry vent?

Reply to
jamesgangnc