Massachusetts Electrical Code

Page 3 of 3
On 07/25/2015 09:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Google "CLUE database" (the insurance database). Fuck up a couple times and your rates go up. Fuck up too much and you'll become uninsurable. Good grief!
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:04:13 AM UTC-4, Mayhem wrote:

Google what I posted a couple times. I said nothing about number of claims, rates or insurability.
On 7/25/2015 11:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:

*** Insurance 101 for Dummies *** - people that have accidents, have accidents. - people that have lots of accidents are unprofitable. - unprofitable people have trouble finding insurance.
Maybe there is an tax-payer subsidized ObamaInsurance plan for accident-prone idiots?
I have been told have a homeowners claim, like a home fire you become almost uninsurable..except by the original insurance company
having been thru a home fire with some friends who i was helping there are opportunities to make such a claim profitable for the insured
the fire restoration contractors make out like bandits.
heres a ancient mud job bathroom all concrete that must go.
most people would use a air hammer or small jackhammer
fire restoration company charged 90 bucks a hour for labor, required 2 workers to use small lightweight hammers to drag a one day demo, to a 4 day marathon. for more $$$$$

Of course they'll pay the claim. They have a contract with the homeowner that obligates them to do that. Then they'll sue the electrician to recover.
What happens when your car is hit by someone who has no insurance? *Your* insurance pays for the damage to your car and for your medical expenses -- then attempts to recover whatever they can from the other driver personally.
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 10:37:02 AM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood my point. I agree with you. My point was that the poster said an insurance agent said that they would "generally" pay a claim where a fire was caused by a negligent electrician. I agree with you, they will always pay it. The generally part is BS.

Ahh, yes, I did misunderstand you. Sorry.
| Interesting. Contrast that with car insurance, where one is insured | even for negligence (in fact most injury and damage is caused by | negligence). | You're insured for damage, not negligence. If an accident is your fault you could be sued by others or arrested. And states vary in terms of how you're covered. In MA it was "no-fault" for awhile. These days I think the way it works is that your insurance pays but the insurance company of the person at fault may be sued by the other company. One can also face insurance increases for at-fault accidents and can face fines or arrest for negligent driving. (Though, unfortunately, it's still legal in MA to diddle one's cellphone while sailing through a busy intersection.)
There was a case some years ago in Cambridge, MA where a handyman ran Romex under a carpet. (!). A chair on the carpet eventually wore through. It started a fire. People died. The handyman was indicted. I think he was charged with negligent homicide.
On the flip side, 60 minutes has run a piece twice about hurricane damage in NJ and how insurance companies altered engineer's reports to say that homeowners were making claims on existing damage, thereby refusing coverage.
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:24:00 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

The fact that you can be sued or arrested has nothing to do with his point, which is that with auto accidents, you're covered even though it was your negligence that is the cause of the accident. You are similarly covered for most negligence in the case of homeowner's insurance. I've yet to hear of an insurance company that won't pay a claim of a person tripping over the bucket you left on the sidewalk or when you failed to clear ice or where you left a pot burning on the stove and forgot about it, burning up the kitchen.
And insurance companies seem to pay off on the vast majority of claims where people did their own work. In all the times this has been brought up here, discussed, I've seen only one case where they insurance company refused the claim. And that one was an extreme, well documented case in CA. The homeowner who was building a new house, deliberately put in a fireplace that had been denied, doing it after the final inspection and the work was faulty. Even then, IDK how it ultimately turned out, might have been settled out of court, etc.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:00:38 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I wonder though, if insurance didn't pay for a homeowner's negligence, if they woudl be less negnlgent.
With a car, if you're negligent, there's usually as much chance you'll be hurt as that someone else will, but you don't even have to be present when a lot of home negligence causes injuries to people.
We should ban home insurance for personal injury and make everyone pay the consquences. ;-)

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:15:49 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Ban personal injury for who? The neighbor who trips on the bucket you left on the sidewalk? Or you, the homeowner, who trips over it? AFAIK, homeowner's insurance already will only pay for the first claim. AFAIK, they won't pay for your own injury.
If you want to say that they shouldn't pay for damage, like a fire, resulting from leaving a stove unattended, then I think you better think the consequences of such a policy through a bit.